100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Ocean flows through section of island, even at low tide

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

No bail for bikie accused over shooting and record bust

A bikie group vice-president alleged to be part of Australia's biggest cocaine seizure is also accused of organising a drive-by shooting via text chat More

Key council building for lease, residential use ruled out

A prominent Sunshine Coast commercial building is being made available for lease, offering businesses the chance to be part of the resurgence of Nambour. The More

Pokie push: council to review gaming machine policy

A local council has voted to explore a policy position that would strengthen its role in reducing gambling-related harm. Noosa councillors have supported a motion More

Private health firm jabs insurers not paying fair share

Australia's biggest private hospital operator has singled out health insurers for not paying their "fair share" for client services. Ramsay Health Care, which has a More

Jane Stephens: the case against ‘castle law’

A person’s home is their castle, worthy of protection. But how far should we be able to go to keep it and those who More

Alleged unprovoked Gympie assault, witnesses wanted by police

Detectives from the Gympie Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) are appealing for public assistance after a man sustained a traumatic brain injury during an alleged More

Compelling footage has emerged of water rushing through Bribie Island, suggesting that a second tidal breakthrough could stay open.

Videos and images captured by drone pilot Damien Lange show the ocean splitting a section of the island, to the south of the vast breakthrough that occurred in 2022.

He even saw jet ski riders going through the gap.

The site, near the Lions Park day-use area, has been subjected to over-washing events and seemed to break open last month due to ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred, but a mesh of vegetation was credited with partially fending the ocean off.

Now, Mr Lange’s most recent footage and photos appear to show a breakthrough has become established.

He documented it during a 1.9m high tide on April 1 (see the video below).

“The swell has broken down the coffee rock and vegetation wall,” he said.

“I took images at high tide and when the tide turned to go out. You can see the deep channel formed and the large volume of water taken out to sea.

“I even saw two jet skis go through this bar and come back.”

Mr Lange returned during a 0.52m low tide on April 7 (see video below) and the water was “still raging out”.

“There’s a lot of water going in and out, which now doesn’t go through the big bar (to the north),” he said.

“So, it is going to be interesting to see the effects of this.”

It comes after the state government announced a review of the 2022 Bribie Island breakthrough and its ongoing impacts, and after members of nearby coastal communities expressed their concerns about homes and businesses.

The review will be undertaken by an expert group that will work to identity long-term solutions to address concerns.

The section of Bribie Island at high tide on April 1. Picture: Damien Lange, droner.au

A Department of Environment, Tourism, Science and Innovation spokesperson said recent wild weather had “created conditions for a new tidal breakthrough”

“Tropical Cyclone Alfred brought unusually high tides and large waves that caused significant erosion with waves over-washing the island and moving sand into Pumicestone Passage,” they said.

“This narrowed parts of the island and created conditions for a new tidal breakthrough south of the Lions Park day use area.”

“We continue to monitor these changes, assessing the environmental impacts, and working to ensure public safety around the affected areas, such as the recent closing of the day use area.

“The Queensland Government has committed to conducting an expert, independent review to investigate ongoing erosion, previous breakthrough events and the impacts these have had on Bribie Island.

“Immediate and long-term recommendations will be developed and consultation with the local government, community organisations and local community will occur to assure that concerns are heard and long-term solutions are identified.”

A DETSI spokesperson also said a drone survey was conducted on March 12 that suggested a second split in the island could occur.

“We did notice the possibility of a further tidal breakthrough some 2km south (of the main breakthrough),” he said.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.auYou must include your name and suburb.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share