100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Investigation launched after massive crane topples over and crushes homes in Aura

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Research confirms Aussie attraction to Coast

Queensland is doubling down on its reputation as one of the country’s most attractive holiday destinations, with new research suggesting the qualities Australians value More

Special units combine to arrest man facing 20-odd charges

Multiple police units have been involved in the arrest of a man on a return to prison warrant and facing multiple property and vehicle More

Your say: hotel plan, festival site and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Camping operator seeks funds for approval after complaint

The operator of a creekside campground has set up a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of approvals after a complaint was received More

Development of iconic farm set for council vote

Councillors will next week determine whether to approve a development plan for an iconic farm, with the proposal to establish about 420 dwellings recommended More

Beloved family cafe closes after more than a decade

A family-owned cafe that had operated in the Sunshine Coast hinterland for more than a decade has closed amid what it called a “lease More

Residents were at home when a crane fell across their houses in a dramatic incident at Aura.

Sunshine Coast News understands the crane was attempting to lift a heavy object when it become overbalanced in Benjamen Crescent, Nirimba, one of the new suburbs in the Stockland master-planned estate.

The massive crane’s arm fell across three homes and a source said people were home at the time, but escaped unscathed.

Two of the homes were newly built and one is still under construction.

A source said it was a lucky escape for the residents and they had been shaken by the event.

The scene of the crane incident. Picture: Sunshine Coast News

A police spokesperson said they were notified at 4.45pm about the incident.

Queensland Ambulance Service attended but were not required and Queensland Fire and Rescue officers also were on scene.

Workplace Health and Safety officers have taken over the scene and will investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.

An operation to right the crane is expected to require two or more cranes, being sourced from Brisbane, and will be launched overnight or Saturday.

Police inspect the scene. Picture: Sunshine Coast News
Queensland Fire and Rescue officers at the scene. Picture: Sunshine Coast News

 

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share