100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Man accused of using axe handle to strike partner who died after alleged assault

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Research confirms Aussie attraction to Coast

Queensland is doubling down on its reputation as one of the country’s most attractive holiday destinations, with new research suggesting the qualities Australians value More

Special units combine to arrest man facing 20-odd charges

Multiple police units have been involved in the arrest of a man on a return to prison warrant and facing multiple property and vehicle More

Your say: hotel plan, festival site and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Camping operator seeks funds for approval after complaint

The operator of a creekside campground has set up a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of approvals after a complaint was received More

Development of iconic farm set for council vote

Councillors will next week determine whether to approve a development plan for an iconic farm, with the proposal to establish about 420 dwellings recommended More

Beloved family cafe closes after more than a decade

A family-owned cafe that had operated in the Sunshine Coast hinterland for more than a decade has closed amid what it called a “lease More

A man has been accused of striking his partner with an axe handle the day before she died in hospital, a court has been told.

Philip Andrew Hunter, 58, of Currimundi, was not required to appear in Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Monday for a mention of charges relating to his alleged assaults against Kristy Louise Hunter, 47, on the Sunshine Coast.

Police previously said emergency services were called to a Gannawarra Street address in Currimundi about 4.40pm on December 22 following reports of a disturbance.

A 47-year-old woman was found at the address with non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.

She died the next day at Sunshine Coast University Hospital.

Hunter, originally from Subiaco in Western Australia, had his occupation listed as carer in court documents and had the same address as the alleged victim.

He was taken into custody at the scene and charged with assault occasioning bodily harm as a domestic violence offence, aggravated contravention of a domestic violence order and obstructing police.

Police later charged Hunter with the more serious offence of acts intending to cause grievous bodily harm as a domestic violence offence.

Hunter’s solicitor Mark Robinson told Magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist during a brief court mention on Monday that his client had already been taken from the police watch house to a correctional centre.

“He has got to be produced at some point for the new charges before the court and for an old charge to be discontinued,” he said.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Melinda Pyke told Mr Stjernqvist the 47-year-old alleged victim was Hunter’s “partner” and also said his initial charge could change.

“At some point the prosecution will be taking a certain course in relation to the original assault occasioning bodily harm charge,” she said.

Mr Stjernqvist remanded Hunter in custody for a committal mention on February 24 at Maroochydore Magistrates Court.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732); Lifeline 13 11 14

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share