100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Clive Palmer-owned company to sue government

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Traffic lights proposed for two key intersections

Traffic lights are set to be installed at two busy Sunshine Coast intersections that have a history of crashes. The Department of Transport and Main More

Push grows to save vital Coast service

A renewed fight to save a struggling Sunshine Coast palliative care hospice has reached Queensland Parliament, as pressure grows for long-term funding support and More

New waterways authority to begin operations

A new authority tasked with managing and maintaining Sunshine Coast waterways will begin operating from July after legislation passed state parliament last week. The Sunshine More

Market stalls credited with launching national business success

A Sunshine Coast distillery now stocked in the Qantas Brisbane Business Lounge has grown from humble beginnings at the Eumundi Markets into a national More

Coast bee discovery to take the ‘sting’ out of scars

A discovery by Sunshine Coast scientists could change how scars are treated, after researchers identified a natural compound linked to reduced skin damage. The UniSC More

Schools shortlisted for national honours

Two Sunshine Coast prep-to-Year 12 independent schools are in the running for national education awards. Matthew Flinders Anglican College at Buderim and St Andrew’s Anglican More

An investment company owned by mining billionaire Clive Palmer has launched a lawsuit suing Australia for more than $40 billion.

The Singapore-registered company Zeph Investments has begun action for an investor-state dispute against Australia for $41.3 billion over mineral exploration permits.

The details of the claims were provided in a document sent to Greens senator David Shoebridge by the attorney-general’s department in answer to a question he posed at a Senate estimates hearing in May.

Zeph Investments has claimed Australia breached a free-trade agreement with the ASEAN regional bloc over mineral exploration permits in Queensland’s Galilee Basin, which are held by Waratah Coal, an Australian company owned by Mr Palmer.

The department has labelled the claims “unsubstantiated” and indicated it will “vigorously defend the claim”.

The documents said Zeph Investments provided the department with a notice of intention of the investor-state dispute on February 21, before a formal notice of arbitration was sent months later.

“On May 29, 2023, after this question was taken on notice, Zeph provided the department with a notice of arbitration formally commencing the arbitration that was the subject of the notice of intention,” the document said.

“Zeph alleges Australia has breached certain obligations owed to it under Chapter 11 of the Agreement Establishing the ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Free Trade Area … Australia will vigorously defend the claim.

“The notice of arbitration indicates Zeph is claiming damages of approximately $41.3 billion. Zeph’s damages claim is unsubstantiated.”

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share