100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Unfortunate adventure': 25 scouts rushed to hospital after 'gastric attack' at major camp

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Police clarify rules on in-car touchscreens as concerns grow

As vehicle touchscreens become increasingly bigger in modern cars, questions are being raised about how they fit within existing distracted driving laws. On the Sunshine More

Police investigate alleged burglary with violence

A man has been taken into custody after an alleged armed break-in at a home left a resident injured. It is alleged that 22-year-old man More

Apartments hit by spate of basement car park break-ins

Police are investigating a string of break-ins targeting basement car parks at apartment complexes in the heart of the Sunshine Coast. Residents have been urged More

Massage therapist jailed after rape conviction

A Sunshine Coast massage therapist has been jailed after pleading guilty to rape and aggravated assault. Cameron Michael Petrie was sentenced at Maroochydore District Court More

Dozens of boats removed from river under new rules

Many boats have been taken off a popular waterway under new anchoring restrictions, as authorities warn of "enforcement activity" for non-compliant owners. More than 70 More

Traffic lights proposed for two key intersections

Traffic lights are set to be installed at two busy Sunshine Coast intersections that have a history of crashes. The Department of Transport and Main More

Dozens of children were rushed to hospital after a suspected gastro outbreak at a major scout camp being held on the Sunshine Coast.

Scouts Queensland has confirmed 25 children, aged eight to 11, taking part in the week-long camp of 750 scouts at Landsborough suffered a “gastric attack”.

The viral outbreak, which a source told Sunshine Coast News was thought could be norovirus, occurred at the Cuboree World Tour 2021 which is the scouts’ biggest event.

Norovirus is a highly contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhoea.

On Wednesday afternoon, Scouts Queensland general manager Dougal Mayor said the statewide camp would end a day early after advice from Queensland Health.

Mr Mayor said volunteer leaders were arranging the necessary transport to ensure all children travelled safely home.

“The welfare of our Cub Scouts and volunteers remains our highest priority and we are grateful for the assistance and advice received from Queensland Health,” he said.

“Our focus now is on returning the Cub Scouts to their families across Queensland which will occur over the next 24 hours.”

The event has its own medical centre run by health professionals, but Mr Mayor said it was considered prudent to take the cub scouts to hospital.

Those released were being cared for at local scout halls, rather than being returned to camp.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Cuboree continued with a limited program while health and environmental checks were undertaken in the morning.

“Scouting has decades of experience in running large events for young people but when an incident like this happens, we turn to the experts,” Mr Mayor said.

“The cubs affected by this incident have had an unfortunate and unexpected adventure.

“Hospital staff were very complimentary about the maturity and behaviour of the cub scouts who attended last night, and said they were a pleasure to care for.

“Back at camp, the remaining cubs are happy, busy and living the camping life as normal.

“They have had their breakfast and our volunteer leader will now provide limited activities that minimise movement within the camp.”

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our free daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email. See SUBSCRIBE at the top of this article 

A spokesperson for the Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service said a team of clinicians and environmental health officers were sent to the camp to assess attendees and implement infection-control measures.

“The source of the suspected gastro outbreak is still unknown,” the hospital spokesperson said.

The patients have been tested for COVID-19 and all are negative to date.

The spokesperson said patients had been taken to Sunshine Coast University Hospital, Prince Charles Hospital, Caboolture Hospital and Nambour Hospital.

The Cuboree website says the event is the “biggest and most exciting event that a cub scout can go on”.

“It’s a Queensland event open to all cub scouts that are nine or older across the state and often attracts attendance from other states.”

This year’s theme was: World Tour, a chance for scouts to “travel around the world in just six days from the comfort of Queensland”.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share