100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Chief health officer says Queensland doing better than expected in containing Delta outbreak

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Man charged after alleged wrong-side motorway crash

A man has been charged after a two-vehicle crash on the Sunshine Motorway, with police alleging he was driving on the wrong side of More

Police investigate serious two-car collision

Police are appealing for information as they investigate a serious two-vehicle crash that occurred in the early hours of the morning. Initial investigations indicate that a More

Man hospitalised after serious single-vehicle crash

A 24-year-old man has been taken to hospital in a potentially life-threatening condition following a single-vehicle rollover at Glenview on Friday morning. Emergency services were More

Toddler dies after being struck by vehicle

A toddler has died after being struck by a vehicle at a private address on the Sunshine Coast. Emergency services were called to Scholars Drive More

Marine plants to be removed for housing project

Thousands of marine plant plugs will be removed from land beside the Maroochy River under a new state government approval for a contentious 104-hectare More

Police probe damage along popular esplanade

Sunshine Coast police are investigating alleged wilful damage incidents along one of the region's most prominent roads, after reports of anti-social behaviour. Police were called More

The chief health officer says Queensland is doing better than expected in containing the Delta outbreak after 16 new locally acquired cases were confirmed.

These were all linked to the Indooroopilly cluster and followed another record day of testing.

Dr Jeannette Young said Queensland was doing “really, really, really well” and she had not expected us to be “so far in front of the virus” at this stage.

The 16 new cases included three from Ironside State School, nine household contacts of those students, a teacher at Brisbane Grammar School, two students at Brisbane Grammar and one household contact from that school.

Only three of the cases were infectious in the community for one day and one was infectious in the community for two days, while the rest were in quarantine during their entire infectious period.

Eleven other infections were confirmed in crew members of an LNG ship anchored off Gladstone but they would be treated on board.

There were no locally acquired cases on the Sunshine Coast.

Dr Young said South-East Queensland had done an “amazing job” and if the lockdown was lifted on Sunday it would be “the quickest response to any significant outbreak anywhere”.

Get the day’s top Sunshine Coast stories direct to your inbox by subscribing to our FREE daily news bulletin: Go to SUBSCRIBE at top of this article to register

All of this outbreak’s infections have been confined to Brisbane. Picture: AAP

The Indooroopilly cluster, which began with one infectious 17-year-old student, forced Queensland’s lockdown on Saturday with rapidly escalating daily cases.

However, there have been no new chains of transmission outside of that part of Brisbane and cases have been limited to that cluster.

Dr Young urged people to keep coming forward to get tested so she could be sure there were no other chains of transmission hiding in the community.

More than 52,000 people underwent testing on Wednesday which was a new record for the state and Deputy Premier Steven Miles urged Queenslanders to “keep it up”.

“What we have to do from here is keep it up to give the chief health officer a chance to see that there is not transmission other than Indooroopilly,” he said.

Dr Miles praised the 7700 people currently in home quarantine, describing them as our “first line of defence” who were doing a service in staying at home.

“We all want to take care of you because you are taking care of us,” he said, urging people to phone their friends in quarantine and offer them support.

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said the Prime Minister had promised to bring forward a massive delivery of Pfizer vaccine to Queensland.

More than 112,000 doses that were due to arrive in September will be brought forward to August, with half arriving next week and the rest the following week.

Authorities reiterated their pleas for Queenslanders from the Gold Coast to Noosa to only go out for essential items, and even consider limiting online shopping.

However, these comments have been criticised as “removed from reality” by online fashion retailer Fleur Richardson.

“What Jeanette Young is really saying is stop the economy,” she said.

“”We are very conscious as employers about how many families we feed and so we are putting the wellbeing of our employees first.”

There are now almost 200 COVID-19 exposure sites for close and casual contact across southeast, central and far north Queensland.

-with AAP

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share