100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

SA locks out travellers from greater Melbourne after hotel virus cluster grows

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Dozens of boats removed from river under new rules

Many boats have been taken off a popular waterway under new anchoring restrictions, as authorities warn of "enforcement activity" for non-compliant owners. More than 70 More

Traffic lights proposed for two key intersections

Traffic lights are set to be installed at two busy Sunshine Coast intersections that have a history of crashes. The Department of Transport and Main More

New waterways authority to begin operations

A new authority tasked with managing and maintaining Sunshine Coast waterways will begin operating from July after legislation passed state parliament last week. The Sunshine More

Motorway interchange plan gains momentum

Plans for new ramps on the Sunshine Motorway have progressed, with a contract awarded for the project’s detailed design. The Sunshine Motorway and West Coolum More

Rail network disrupted, major road closed after fatal vehicle rollover

A man has died after a vehicle rolled onto railway tracks at Kulangoor, causing significant disruptions to the rail network on Friday morning. Emergency services More

Coast man dies in early morning crash

A Sunshine Coast man has died following a crash west of Gympie overnight. Emergency services were called to Gympie Woolooga Road, near Little Widgee Road More

South Australia has locked out travellers from greater Melbourne after further COVID-19 cases were linked to a hotel quarantine outbreak in Victoria.

The lockout came into effect from 12.01am on Thursday, South Australian time.

Returning SA residents, people relocating and other exempt travellers would still be allowed in but would need to quarantine for 14 days.

SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens announced the lock-out measure in a statement on Wednesday night.

“Our steps in South Australia are taken with an abundance of caution to make sure we’re minimising the risk but at the same time, not taking steps that aren’t deemed to be necessary,” he said.

Regional Victoria and cross-border communities are not affected by the planned restrictions.

It comes after two new infections were detected at Melbourne’s Holiday Inn quarantine hotel, bringing the total number of cases linked to the outbreak to eight. They include three workers, two released guests and a family of three no longer staying at the hotel.

Authorities believe a medical device in the family’s room could be to blame for the cluster.

SA’s Chief Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said she was “very concerned” by the Victorian outbreak, comparing it to the Parafield cluster in South Australia which prompted a snap lockdown.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share