100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Developers hope amended application for tourist attraction will please council

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Applications open for community talks with government

The first state government-driven Community Cabinet for 2026 is set to take place in Caloundra on March 8. Premier David Crisafulli and ministers will meet with local More

Coast median home value soars to be on par with Sydney

With the prospect of paying at least $1m for a home in many of Australia's capital cities, buyers are once again looking to escape More

Research confirms Aussie attraction to Coast

Queensland is doubling down on its reputation as one of the country’s most attractive holiday destinations, with new research suggesting the qualities Australians value More

Special units combine to arrest man facing 20-odd charges

Multiple police units have been involved in the arrest of a man on a return to prison warrant and facing multiple property and vehicle More

Your say: hotel plan, festival site and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Camping operator seeks funds for approval after complaint

The operator of a creekside campground has set up a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of approvals after a complaint was received More

Almost five years after an application was first lodged, developers are persisting with plans for a tourist attraction north of Aussie World at Palmview.

Hanseath Pty Ltd has reduced the footprint of the attraction and moved its position on the block after struggling to get the original proposal through the Sunshine Coast Council in what has become one of the council’s longest-running planning assessments.

The new plans for the development include a 100-room hotel instead of eco-cabins as originally proposed, an arts and health and wellbeing centre, a regional produce and activities hub, and a function centre on a lake.

The revised proposal also shifts the buildings west of the original, central location.

The first application for the 48-hectare site, on the corner of Frizzo and Sippy Creek roads, was lodged in June 2019 and sought a material change of use for a masterplanned tourism precinct.

An accompanying application was lodged to reconfigure the block into six so the development could be carried out in stages.

The application hit its first hurdle when it was submitted without a $100,000 application fee.

The council and town planners have gone back and forth with information requests and reports since and some minor changes were made to the application.

In December last year Project Urban, on behalf of Hanseath, lodged an amendment to the application seeking a permit to reconfigure the block into six lots, and a material change of use for a tourist attraction (Indigenous and food tourism), medium impact industry (food and beverage production associated with tourist attraction), food and drink outlet, function facility, shop and short-term accommodation.

Hansheath director Tony Riddle said Indigenous business leaders had been interested in being a part of the attraction since its conception and he was grateful for their continued support.

The new plan for a tourist attraction near Aussie World at Palmview.

He said the attraction was designed to tap into the growing food tourism market.

“Food tourism is one of the fastest-growing sectors in tourism, and wellbeing has been a growth industry around the world and in Australia – it’s a $9 billion industry – so we’re now following,” he said.

Mr Riddle said the attraction would add to other tourist destinations on the Sunshine Coast, such as the Eumundi Markets, the Ginger Factory and the Big Pineapple, rather than duplicating their offerings.

“What we want on the Sunshine Coast is an offering that gets people to stay more than one day. That’s what we’re trying to do,” he said.

A concept image of the proposed 100-room hotel. Picture: Zeen Design

Nelson Riddle, also a director of the company, said the revised application covered a total of about 8465sqm, or about 1.75 per cent of the site, compared to the original footprint of 20,000sqm to 24,000sqm.

He said they were working with the council on how they could establish walking or biking trails on the property without disturbing significant vegetation.

Tony Riddle was disappointed at earlier difficulties with the proposal after early advice that the project would get council approval.

“We initially met with the (former) CEO Michael Whittaker before we did lodge plans and said this is our vision, this is what we think we’ll do, and he supported it,” he said.

Mr Riddle said that after plans were lodged, “the council came back and said, ‘sorry, we can’t support that’”.

The council has again requested further information but Mr Riddle is confident the company is on the right track with its revised plan for the site.

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our FREE daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email at the bottom of this article.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share