100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Teen charged under Adult Crime Adult Time after crash involving allegedly illegal e-bikes

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Restaurant’s ‘food bible’ double award win

A double award victory has placed a hinterland restaurant among Australia’s standout dining destinations and recognised it as Queensland’s best restaurant for 2026. The Woodshed More

Former labour hire firm fined over farm records

A former labour hire provider and its manager have been fined over false records linked to workers at a Sunshine Coast strawberry farm. The Fair More

Hidden signal in videos could help solve crimes

Technology being refined on the Sunshine Coast could help solve some of the world’s most complex criminal cases, from hostage situations to child exploitation More

Ashley Robinson: extending my appetite

I had a light-bulb moment last week. Well, it took a while, but the light bulb eventually came on. It all started innocently enough with More

Proposed motorway project faces scrutiny

A plan for two ramps at a key stretch of motorway is being examined by the federal government over potential environmental impacts. The Queensland Department More

Feedback opens on The Wave station designs

Plans for station precincts between Beerwah and Caloundra are now open for public feedback as work continues on Stage 1 of The Wave. The consultation More

A teenager has been charged over an e-bike crash that killed an eight-year-old boy and sparked calls for law reforms.

The 15-year-old boy was arrested almost three weeks after Zeke Hondow died following a collision with another e-bike rider at Mountain Creek.

Detective Acting Inspector Peter Hocken said both boys were allegedly riding illegal e-bikes and the teenager was charged under Queensland’s Adult Crime Adult Time laws.

“It’s a tragedy on all ends. One family has lost an eight-year-old child in front of another family member and likewise another 15-year-old is now before the courts on serious charges.”

The crash on October 30 marked southeast Queensland’s second e-bike fatality in a month.

The tragedy renewed calls for the Queensland government to toughen legislation, weeks after it completed public hearings for a parliamentary inquiry into e-mobility safety and use.

Reeling from the fatal accident in his Sunshine Coast electorate of Buderim, Transport Minister Brent Mickelberg in October described it as a “complex issue”.

“We’ve seen rapid evolution of this technology very quickly, but I think it’s fair to say that governments at all levels need to do more to tackle this,” he told reporters.

Queensland Police said after the crash that they would investigate whether the e-bikes involved were modified, with both riders wearing helmets.

Modifications were being made to devices faster than law enforcement could keep up, police said.

“Most police services around Queensland and the country are dealing with issues that are created by these high-powered e-bikes,” Chief Inspector Jason Overland said.

The 15-year-old boy was arrested on Tuesday and charged with dangerous operation of vehicle causing death, unlicensed driving, unregistered vehicle and uninsured vehicle.

He is set to appear in Maroochydore Children’s Court on November 26.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share