100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Queenslanders to continue enjoying cheap fares, amid calls for other states to follow

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Coast median home value soars to be on par with Sydney

With the prospect of paying at least $1m for a home in many of Australia's capital cities, buyers are once again looking to escape More

Research confirms Aussie attraction to Coast

Queensland is doubling down on its reputation as one of the country’s most attractive holiday destinations, with new research suggesting the qualities Australians value More

Special units combine to arrest man facing 20-odd charges

Multiple police units have been involved in the arrest of a man on a return to prison warrant and facing multiple property and vehicle More

Camping operator seeks funds for approval after complaint

The operator of a creekside campground has set up a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of approvals after a complaint was received More

Development of iconic farm set for council vote

Councillors will next week determine whether to approve a development plan for an iconic farm, with the proposal to establish about 420 dwellings recommended More

Beloved family cafe closes after more than a decade

A family-owned cafe that had operated in the Sunshine Coast hinterland for more than a decade has closed amid what it called a “lease More

Cheap fares that prompted a surge in public transport use in Queensland will remain amid calls for prices to drop in the rest of the nation.

Travellers were drawn onto public transport after the introduction of 50-cent fares in August, with network-wide patronage increasing more than 16 per cent compared to the same period in 2023.

The state recorded its busiest weekend across the network shortly after introducing the cheaper fares, when more than 700,000 trips were taken.

The initial six-month reduction has been made permanent after saving commuters more than $110 million.

The state’s Transport Minister Brent Mickelberg on Saturday confirmed 50-cent fares will continue across buses, trams, trains and ferries.

“This is a great day for Queenslanders with the cheapest public transport fares in the state’s modern history here to stay,” Mr Mickelberg said.

The then-Labor government announced the policy in the lead-up to the October state election, with the LNP also adopting the move  on its path to power.

The fares apply to Translink services, including buses, trams, trains and ferries in south-east Queensland and suburban bus services in regional areas.

Fares on the privately owned Airtrain services from the city centre to Brisbane Airport have been reduced to $10.95 until February 9.

It is unclear whether those fares will remain at the discounted rate, with online bookings not yet available beyond that date.

Queensland now has the lowest public transport fares in the nation, and other states are being urged to follow amid cost-of-living pressures.

The NSW Rail, Tram and Bus Union has called for the government to slash fares, as it continues campaigning for 24-hour services, but the state’s Transport Minister Jo Haylen said earlier in November 50-cent fares were “not on the table”, amid a dispute over the light rail.

Fares were free in Canberra for several weeks beginning in late September as the ACT transitioned its public transport payments to a new platform, but has since resumed charging commuters.

The WA government will waive fares over summer, beginning on December 14 and ending on February 5.

Tasmania has halved fares until July to relieve price pressures and encourage patronage.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share