100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Two men accused of shooting a golf club owner to stand trial for murder

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Your say: cafe closure, fireworks, road upgrades and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Property hotspots revealed: the suburbs on the rise

Fresh data has unveiled the Sunshine Coast towns and suburbs with the most dramatic price growth during the past 12 months. Ray White revealed that More

Shopping centre dining precinct transformation underway

Work is underway on a significant upgrade to the dining precinct at Kawana Shoppingworld, with new retailers, refurbished eateries and improved public spaces scheduled More

No bail for bikie accused over shooting and record bust

A bikie group vice-president alleged to be part of Australia's biggest cocaine seizure is also accused of organising a drive-by shooting via text chat More

Key council building for lease, residential use ruled out

A prominent Sunshine Coast commercial building is being made available for lease, offering businesses the chance to be part of the resurgence of Nambour. The More

Pokie push: council to review gaming machine policy

A local council has voted to explore a policy position that would strengthen its role in reducing gambling-related harm. Noosa councillors have supported a motion More

Two men who allegedly committed offences on the Sunshine Coast have been ordered to stand trial for the murder of a golf course owner on the Fraser Coast.

Greg Harding, 64, was found dead at Craignish Country Club the day after he suffered a fatal shotgun blast to the leg on August 15, 2021.

Joshua Marcus Pope, then aged 30, and Gregory Tremayne Pryor, then 25, were arrested a week later.

Pope and Pryor allegedly committed numerous offences on the Sunshine Coast and Hervey Bay in the days leading up to the alleged murder.

They faced Brisbane Magistrates Court for a committal hearing on Monday.

Warning: Graphic content below

Forensic pathologist Li Ma, who performed a post-mortem on Mr Harding, testified that he had a “large irregular gaping wound … a large area of destruction” from shotgun pellets on his right calf.

Pope’s barrister Angus Edwards asked if there had been “a shotgun blast to the back of the calf, tearing off a big chunk of flesh and skin”.

“More than that. Fracturing of bone and destruction of soft tissue,” Dr Ma said.

Dr Ma agreed she could not determine how many shotgun pellets had struck Mr Harding as a large part of his calf had been torn off.

She said a laceration found on the top of Mr Harding’s head would have occurred no more than 24 hours before his death due to a lack of healing.

Under cross-examination, Dr Ma said Mr Harding’s injuries, including bruises and a fractured vertebra, could have been caused by either blunt force trauma or a fall.

Police ballistics expert Sergeant Michael Clark testified the shotgun would likely have been between one and 2.5 metres away from Mr Harding when it was fired.

Sgt Clark said he could not be precise without testing the firearm and ammunition involved but a plastic wad component of a shotgun shell was found inside Mr Harding’s gunshot wound, indicating a maximum range.

Both Pope and Pryor were also committed to stand trial for allegedly stealing money and a hard drive from Mr Harding as well as several counts of break-ins, motor vehicle thefts, stealing registration plates, handling stolen property and stealing from a Cotton On shop.

They allegedly committed multiple offences on the Sunshine Coast and Hervey Bay in the days leading up to the alleged murder.

Ashton Taylor McKinley, then aged 24, was also charged in September 2021 with Mr Harding’s murder.

McKinley was in March committed to stand trial for murder as well as four counts of break-ins, two counts of motor vehicle theft and two counts of stealing.

All three defendants are due to face trial at Brisbane Supreme Court at a date to be set.

Pope and Pryor’s barristers did not apply for bail and the defendants were returned to custody.

Both defendants declined to say anything to Magistrate Ross Mack after he committed them to stand trial.

Against the glass partition between them, Pryor gestured a fist bump to Pope who pointed to his heart and then his supporters in court.

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our FREE daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email at the bottom of this article.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share