100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Teens exchanged texts before stabbing, Brisbane Supreme Court hears

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Data centre survey puts $35,000 figure on buyer reluctance

New data centres could deter prospective property buyers or prompt them to demand tens of thousands of dollars off the asking price, according to More

Bricklaying boss warns of skilled worker shortage

The Sunshine Coast is facing a skilled worker shortage as the region gears up for billions of dollars in construction and infrastructure projects. The challenge More

Restaurant’s ‘food bible’ double award win

A double award victory has placed a hinterland restaurant among Australia’s standout dining destinations and recognised it as Queensland’s best restaurant for 2026. The Woodshed More

Former labour hire firm fined over farm records

A former labour hire provider and its manager have been fined over false records linked to workers at a Sunshine Coast strawberry farm. The Fair More

Hidden signal in videos could help solve crimes

Technology being refined on the Sunshine Coast could help solve some of the world’s most complex criminal cases, from hostage situations to child exploitation More

Ashley Robinson: extending my appetite

I had a light-bulb moment last week. Well, it took a while, but the light bulb eventually came on. It all started innocently enough with More

CONTENT WARNING

A teenager accused of fatally stabbing another teen on the Sunshine Coast had challenged him to a fight after receiving videos suggesting he was intimate with the defendant’s ex-girlfriend, a jury has heard.

The male teenager, aged under 18 at the time of the stabbing, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Balin Stewart, aged 16, just metres from his family home in Buddina on the night of January 20 last year.

The Brisbane Supreme Court heard on Monday that Balin died from a single stab wound to the heart from a steak knife with a 12cm blade.

The jury on Tuesday heard testimony from the defendant’s ex-girlfriend, who was also under 18 at the time and cannot be named for legal reasons, after viewing the girl’s two conversations with police in the hours and days after Balin’s death.

The witness was shown multiple silent videos she made of herself speaking directly in front of her phone’s camera, which were sent to the defendant before the stabbing, but she told crown prosecutor Rebecca Marks that she could not recall what she had said.

The jury was also shown other videos sent to the defendant, including a video in which a shirtless Balin embraced the witness from behind, a video of the witness touching Balin’s exposed buttocks and video of the pair lying on a bed while clothed.

The defendant sent messages in response “Where R U?” and “Balin you wanna fight?”.

Before driving to Balin’s house and confronting him in the street, the defendant also texted the witness asking, “Have you sucked any more guys off?”.

Under cross-examination from the defendant’s barrister, Charlotte Smith, the witness agreed that word had spread through her social circle about her relationship break-up with the defendant in the weeks before Balin’s death.

“You were aware that everyone was calling (the defendant) dumb for cheating on you? Is that accurate?” Ms Smith asked.

“Yes,” the witness replied.

She said she could recall being told six days before the stabbing about an image circulating in a social media group chat of Balin and another boy holding knives.

The witness said she consumed two cans of Smirnoff Ice Double Black pre-mixed vodka cans at a party and a third can in Balin’s room before he was stabbed.

“I was happy but not drunk,” the witness said.

The witness said he could not recall whether she was present when a friend used her phone to call the defendant and warn him to be careful after cheating on her.

She agreed she felt guilty about making the defendant upset by sending him videos of herself with Balin but denied she had lied to police to conceal the content of the videos.

“There were a lot of things going through my head. There was a lot I missed out on,” the witness said.

She is scheduled to continue giving evidence on Wednesday.

Scroll down to SUBSCRIBE for our FREE news feed, direct to your inbox daily.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share