100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Moffat madness ends: motorists rejoice as council reverses bizarre lane change decision

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

‘Sweet as’: new store to open at tourist hotspot

A popular Sunshine Coast ‘born’ chocolatier is set to open a new store on one of Australia’s iconic beachfront retail strips. Opening in October, Noosa More

Football’s popularity set to soar in region

Football is expected to surge in popularity on the Sunshine Coast with key international matches to be contested in the region during the 2032 More

From courtroom to cocktails, distiller starts afresh

A micro distillery operating from a 25sqm shed behind a law firm on the Coast is proving to be a high achiever. The Law Artisan More

Man charged after alleged wrong-side motorway crash

A man has been charged after a two-vehicle crash on the Sunshine Motorway, with police alleging he was driving on the wrong side of More

Maleny Dairies responds to questions over interstate milk

Questions over the source of Maleny Dairies milk have prompted the company to clarify how much of its supply comes from Queensland farmers. In a More

Council planners back taller hotel plan

Council planning officers have recommended approval of a taller version of a major hotel development despite it exceeding the current height allowance. The recommendation is More

Infuriating lane changes that turned a beachside intersection into a traffic nightmare will be reversed.

Sunshine Coast Council is notifying residents at Moffat Beach that the controversial southbound right-turn only lane, introduced at the intersection of Buccleugh and Roderick Street late last year, will revert to a through lane.

The alteration had forced all the traffic heading to the surf, or south to Caloundra into one lane and vehicles were regularly queued back to Dicky Beach almost 1km away.

Sunshine Coast News revealed the community anger over the bizarre lane change in November last year.

We later reported lengthy delays, confusion and an accident had kept the spotlight on the busy thoroughfare as the chaos continued despite council monitoring traffic flow and reinstating sensors.

Cars stretch back from the Buccleugh/Roderick Street lights at Moffat Beach to the Wilson Ave bend at Dicky Beach in mid-November. Picture: Kassi Isaac

In December, following the community pushback, Council told SCN it would review the changes and was “considering all options”.

In January, former Sunshine Coast deputy mayor Tim Dwyer joined the protest, saying he was “dumbfounded” by the council decision that made no sense.

SCN also revealed the concerns of Sunshine Coast Bicycle Touring Club president, Michael Jacobson, who said accidents had become more likely due to the right-turn only lane with cyclists risking life and limb when they travelled through the popular area.

Sunshine Coast Council on Thursday said it had taken on board community feedback and would make lane changes at the busy Moffat Beach intersection.

The dedicated right turn southbound lane at the intersection of Buccleugh and Roderick streets will change to a through lane in coming weeks and, once works are completed, it is expected the current queue lengths will be reduced.

Sunshine Coast Council Division 2 Councillor Terry Landsberg said council would implement the advice provided by independent traffic engineers to improve traffic flow on Buccleugh and surrounding streets.

“The traffic engineers recommended that we remove the right turn only lane into Roderick Street west and, for safety reasons, remove the ability to turn right into that street,” Cr Landsberg said.

“As a result, the right turn lane will be changed to a through-lane only, and the left lane will allow both left turns and through-traffic for Buccleugh Street’s southbound motorists.

Cr Terry Landsberg.

“This will make the intersection more efficient and is anticipated to reduce queue lengths on all approaches.

“To minimise inconvenience, these works are scheduled to be completed before the Easter break, weather and site conditions permitting.

“We thank everyone for their patience while we undertake these works and thank the community for raising their concerns.

“We also apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of traffic delays since changes were made in November.

“Council will continue to keep the community informed as we progress scheduling.”

Council is notifying the surrounding residents and businesses of the upcoming improvements.

Local journalists supporting local people. Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our free daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email. See SUBSCRIBE at the top of this article 

 

 

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share