100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Elderly residents must move as outdated Nambour care centre to be 'decommissioned'

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Legal fight looms over roadside billboard refusal

Plans to install a 10m-high electronic advertising sign beside one of the Coast’s busiest roads are headed for court. Australian Outdoor Media (Tech) Pty Ltd More

Data shows shift in ambulance ramping at main hospital

A Sunshine Coast MP says ambulance ramping has decreased at the region's main hospital but admits more needs to be done to reduce wait More

Working farm with luxury living hits the market

A hinterland estate known as Tera Alta, which blends productive farming capability with architectural excellence, is set to go under the hammer. Owned by Bruce More

‘Growth is coming’: Coast eyes 500,000 residents

With the Sunshine Coast set to surpass 500,000 residents by 2041, experts are examining how the region can grow without losing its “essence and More

Photo of the day: ready to catch

“These pelicans seemed to be carefully scrutinising the local fisherman’s catch, but really just hoping for a hand out," photographer Tom Regener says. This More

New gun laws target drive-by shootings and extremism

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli has announced major gun law reforms aimed at cracking down on gun crime, including plans to restrict weapons ownership to More

Thirty-five elderly residents will have to move out after Sundale announced it would shut down its outdated McGowan Care Centre at Nambour.

The aged home with 53 rooms was built in the 1970s and Sundale said the facility no longer met appropriate standards.

It is one of three care centres within the Nambour Garden Village which offers 24/7 residential care.

Sundale said the decision had been made “after serious consideration and much deliberation” to “decommission” the centre.

The operator said “every effort” would be made to transition the residents into one of Sundale’s other facilities in Nambour — the James Grimes, Bowder or Rod Voller Care Centres.

“The decision prioritises the health and wellbeing of every care recipient and team member and aligns with Sundale’s recently announced 10-year strategic plan, which will see the organisation completely transformed in the coming decade and allow Sundale to deliver unparalleled care on the Sunshine Coast,” it said in a statement.

“The decision also acknowledges recent recommendations from the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety calling for fundamental change.

“The recommendations, which were endorsed by the Australian Government will see the standard of accommodation in residential aged care significantly changed.”

Sundale executive Sharon Seymour said the organisation was committed to providing a level that exceeded industry benchmarks.

“McGowan Care Centre is more than 50 years old,” Ms Seymour said.

“When the Care Centre was built in the 1970s it was cutting edge, however, by today’s standards, and those outlined in the Australian Aged Care Accreditation Standards, it is no longer fit for purpose.

“Our care recipients deserve innovative and inspired facilities, not aging, one-dimensional buildings.”

Care recipients, their families and Sundale team members were informed of the decision at a series of face-to-face meetings on Thursday.

It is expected McGowan Care Centre’s final day of operation will be Wednesday, 30 March 2022.

Local journalists supporting local people. Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our free daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email. See SUBSCRIBE at the top of this article.

Sundale said it was working closely with care recipients and their families to formulate a “personalised transition plan which will prioritise their wants, needs and preferences”.

Ms Seymour said Sundale would make every effort to find a suitable home for the impacted care recipients at one of its nearby Care Centres in Nambour.

She said there would be no “forced” job losses.

“Sundale is currently liaising with impacted workers individually to discuss their options, including pathways to be redeployed at other Sundale sites on the Sunshine Coast.

“Sundale will continue to work closely with the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission during the decommissioning of McGowan Care Centre.”

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share