100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Councillor Maria Suarez cops heat from colleagues over push for music festival review

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Long-awaited amenities block opens at popular mountain

Visitors to one of the Sunshine Coast’s most popular walking tracks can now access public amenities. Facilities have been installed beside the car park at More

State govt commits to bold projects despite funding blow

The state government is pushing ahead with Sunshine Coast projects worth billions of dollars despite the federal government’s refusal to allocate more funds in More

Police clarify rules on in-car touchscreens as concerns grow

As vehicle touchscreens become increasingly bigger in modern cars, questions are being raised about how they fit within existing distracted driving laws. On the Sunshine More

Firm competition for $5.8m wellness hub

A private investor has paid $5.8m for a wellness hub in a prime tourist and retail strip on the Coast. The fully leased commercial property More

Major lift for golf club’s long-awaited clubhouse

A major milestone has been reached for a long-running community project. At the Maleny Golf Club in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, seven large modules have More

Police investigate alleged burglary with violence

A man has been taken into custody after an alleged armed break-in at a home left a resident injured. It is alleged that 22-year-old man More

Division 9 Councillor Maria Suarez insisted “I’m not trying to kill the Caloundra Music Festival” as she demanded a complete review of its finances.

The family friendly event which started in 2007 — and is due to kick off next month — had been running at a loss since its inception, Thursday’s council meeting heard.

Cr Suarez questioned the economic value of the annual festival to suburbs outside of Caloundra, and whether it should even be run by the council.

The tourism drawcard is due to come under the microscope when its existing funding cycle ends in 2022-23 and it undergoes a planned review.

A earlier council report from 2019 calculated the festival cost ratepayers more than $675,000 a year for the previous three years. It stated the 2019 event had injected $4.4m into the economy.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor with your name and suburb at Sunshine Coast News via: news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au

The Sunshine Coast Council runs two regular festivals, the Caloundra Music Festival (CMF) (October 1-3) and Horizon Festival (an arts showcase) that was cancelled this year because of COVID.

However, Cr Suarez has specifically targeted the CMF and has questioned why council was pouring money into it, declaring: “Ratepayers in division 9 are not screaming for the Caloundra Music Festival to go ahead.

Councillor Maria Suarez.

“They’re screaming out for other essential services … and that’s why I want a financial review to happen.”

Cr Suarez said she wanted a “full robust financial review” that would be available to the public.

“I’m not trying to kill the Caloundra Music Festival. I’m just trying to get a clear and transparent understanding of how it’s operating and if it’s the correct model,” said Cr Suarez.

She said the music festival was being funded by ratepayers across the Sunshine Coast, but was delivering benefits mostly to Caloundra.

“Yes, I absolutely understand how great a festival it is; I’ve attended a number of times, I’ve danced in puddles in a sudden thunderstorm there, I’ve made many great memories at that festival. Yes, I understand the economic benefits to Caloundra are great,” she said.

“But this is being funded from general rates, and the benefits are going to Caloundra, and ratepayers across the whole of the region are funding this event.

“And that’s why I’m asking these questions about the Caloundra Music Festival because if we are funding this event and the benefits are to be across the broader region, we should review this to ensure that’s occurring.”

Division 2 councillor Terry Landsberg was unhappy with Cr Suarez’s line of questioning and asked why she wanted to go against “a successful festival that has built its reputation”.

Cr Landsberg said businesses across the Sunshine Coast were involved in this year’s upcoming event, including security from Diddillibah, fencing from Landsborough, waste management from Coolum, bar operations from Glenview and marketing and promotion from Maroochydore.

Chris Ah Gee, a Sunshine Coast songwriter and multi-instrumentalist is among this year’s local acts.

“This CMF fills the gap for reaching out to the broader community on the Sunshine Coast,” said Cr Landsberg.

“The opportunity for people with disabilities, with young children to visit this event is just incredible.”

Councillors Peter Cox, Jason O’Pray and Rick Baberowski also spoke strongly in support of the CMF.

Cr O’Pray, who holds the tourism and economic development portfolio, said the event brought “enormous benefits” to all of the Sunshine Coast, including small businesses from all divisions that had the opportunity to “make a tonne of money”.

“You’ve got to remember we started the Caloundra Music Festival because there was a gap in the market. People were begging for music festivals on the Sunshine Coast 12 or 13 years ago and we didn’t have anything on offer ,” said Cr O’Pray.

“The council stepped up to the plate and we created the Caloundra Music Festival.”

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our free daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email. See SUBSCRIBE at the top of this article.

Cr Baberowski, who holds the arts portfolio, said the Caloundra Music Festival was instrumental in positioning the region as a place that had a “cultural offering”.

He said the private sector had been unwilling to take on the risk of a major festival and so council stepped into that space and had built up a brand which was bringing people to the region.

Cr Baberowski said the benefits were not just economic but social and cultural, with the event showcasing local musicians, as well as big name acts, and providing an opportunity for them to grow and develop.

The debate over the CMF arose during discussion at Thursday’s ordinary meeting on whether the council should apply National Competition Policy to festivals run by the council.

Councillors voted not to apply the Code of Competitive Conduct to the festivals’ business activity, but Cr Suarez disagreed with the motion.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share