100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

First Nations cultural attraction approved for Sunshine Coast tourism hub

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Telco takes council to court over phone tower plan

A telecommunications infrastructure provider has launched a court appeal after Sunshine Coast Council rejected its plans for a phone tower. Waveconn Operations Pty Ltd’s application More

$2.2m for Coast uni to train specialist aged care nurses

A tertiary institution on the Sunshine Coast is spearheading the delivery of a fully funded nationwide online program to train specialist aged care nurses More

Households urged to charge ahead with solar batteries

Australia could slash $4 billion a year off power bills by the end of the decade if households embrace solar batteries in larger numbers, More

‘Highly anticipated’ luxury terraces released to market

The first stage of a new luxury residential development that combines "timeless" and "convenient" living is generating strong buyer interest. Pelican Waters has unveiled its More

Photo of the day: perfect morning

“This is a photo I took from the Moffat Headland lookout at 6.53am on a morning walk. The perfect morning. Heaps of surfers,” writes More

Two men charged with torture in missing man case

Police have charged two men with torture as investigations continue into the disappearance of 56-year-old Andrew Burow from Kelvin Grove on August 20. Officers declared More

A First Nations attraction catering for up to 110 tourists at a time has been approved for the Sunshine Coast.

Four retail tenancies adjacent to the Aussie World theme park and Banana Bender Pub at Palmview will be converted into the new attraction, with an outdoor area to also be added.

The application, which was originally submitted by Aussie World operator Timevale Pty Ltd in June 2024, was approved by Sunshine Coast Council on July 30.

An assessment report by Project Urban said the existing commercial tenancies had a gross floor area of 492sqm, with the new attraction to include an additional 163sqm.

It will also include an outdoor area that was previously earmarked for a new theme park ride in a development application that was approved in 2017.

The report said the attraction would include a theatre, multimedia elements and a garden.

Where the new attraction would sit within the broader Aussie World theme park. Picture: Aspect Architects and Project Managers

“The experience aims to provide a learning experience about the First Nations people of Australia, with a specific focus on the Sunshine Coast region,” it stated.

“Guests will start with an introduction in a small theatre, followed by free-roaming through several sequential spaces that offer information through graphics, media, sound and interactives.

“Guests will move outside to a garden area for hands-on experiences. They may also have the opportunity to meet local artists, ask questions, understand the meanings behind the artwork and observe work being created.

“The journey will conclude at an ancillary gallery/shop where guests can purchase artwork and other relevant merchandise.”

An impression of the new attraction. Picture: Aspect Architects and Project Managers

The council’s approval says no more than 110 visitors and 14 staff will be permitted at the attraction at one time.

It will be allowed to operate between 7am and 10pm seven days a week.

The building has a planned height of 7.176m, below the approved maximum of 8.5m.

Related story: Fate of attractions: the demise of once-popular tourist haunts

No additional car parking or changes to the layout are planned.

“The likely parking demand of the proposed attraction has been determined based on first principles and is expected to be in the order of 22-42 spaces,” the report said.

“When taking into account the removal of existing/approved site uses, the proposal is not expected to increase the demand for parking at the site and, as such, no additional parking is considered required.”

A site plan for the new Aussie World First Nations experience, showing the internal area in white and the outdoor area in red. The existing car park is in grey on the right, with the theme park’s mini golf course at the top left. Picture: Aspect Architects and Project Managers

The application was code assessable and did not require public notification. The currency period for the approval is six years.

Aussie World also has plans for a $60 million water park expansion. The concept design features 16 waterslides, pools and numerous waterplay areas. It would also include food and beverage outlets, a pool bar, sun lounges, cabanas and a souvenir shop.

In 2017 the theme park gained approval for five additional rides. To date, one of the rides and the car parking area of 114 spaces have been constructed. The currency of that approval runs until October 2027.

Aussie World was approached for comment.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is hidden when viewing the form
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share