100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Unavoidable': council reveals why traffic won't share lane during key works

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Data centre survey puts $35,000 figure on buyer reluctance

New data centres could deter prospective property buyers or prompt them to demand tens of thousands of dollars off the asking price, according to More

Bricklaying boss warns of skilled worker shortage

The Sunshine Coast is facing a skilled worker shortage as the region gears up for billions of dollars in construction and infrastructure projects. The challenge More

Restaurant’s ‘food bible’ double award win

A double award victory has placed a hinterland restaurant among Australia’s standout dining destinations and recognised it as Queensland’s best restaurant for 2026. The Woodshed More

Former labour hire firm fined over farm records

A former labour hire provider and its manager have been fined over false records linked to workers at a Sunshine Coast strawberry farm. The Fair More

Hidden signal in videos could help solve crimes

Technology being refined on the Sunshine Coast could help solve some of the world’s most complex criminal cases, from hostage situations to child exploitation More

Ashley Robinson: extending my appetite

I had a light-bulb moment last week. Well, it took a while, but the light bulb eventually came on. It all started innocently enough with More

Essential bridge works will affect thousands of regular commuters for six months.

The Doonella Bridge upgrade will include the closure of the westbound lane from July 6 to early December.

Noosa Council Infrastructure services director Shaun Walsh said the change was necessary for contractors to conduct works and extend the life of the 68-year-old structure by another 50 years.

“This means you can cross Doonella Bridge by car to get from Tewantin into Noosaville, but to drive back into Tewantin from Noosaville, you’ll need to detour via Goodchap Street, Eumundi Noosa Road and Beckmans Road,” he said.

That’s an almost 9km detour to get to the centre of Tewantin, which Google Maps estimates could take regular commuters an estimated 12 to 22 minutes, instead of 2 minutes, from Hilton Terrace in peak hour.

Mr Walsh said traffic modelling showed a one-way flow of traffic eastbound over the bridge with a westbound detour would create far less congestion and delays than having east and westbound traffic share one lane of the bridge in a stop-go arrangement.

“A stop-go arrangement across the bridge would likely create traffic backlogs of up to 3km long on either side of the bridge,” he said.

“There will still be delays and congestion with the westbound detour approach that’s unavoidable when upgrading a major link that carries 20,000 vehicles a day but this option will minimise the impacts as much as we can.

“Unfortunately, these works are unavoidable and need to be completed.”

The Doonella Bridge links Noosaville to Tewantin.

The 50m bridge is a key connector between Noosaville and Tewantin.

Mr Walsh encouraged anyone who was able to ride a bike or take a bus to do so for the duration of the bridge works.

“As with emergency vehicles, public buses and school buses will still be able to travel westbound across the bridge, with special traffic lights in place to allow them quickly across, so public transport is a great alternative to taking the car,” he said.

“Pedestrians and cyclists will also continue to have safe access via the shared bridge pathway.

“We appreciate our community’s patience while these essential works are completed to ensure this bridge continues to serve our shire for at least another 50 years.

“Traffic impacts are unavoidable, so we ask motorists to allow extra travel time, have patience and please consider carpooling, walking and cycling wherever possible, or take a bus.”

Want more free local news? Follow Sunshine Coast News on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, and sign up for our FREE daily news email.

The bridge upgrade includes structural strengthening, new safety barriers, repairing underwater bridge piles and improving the Hilton Terrace approach.

“There will be some aspects of the work carried out at night as much as possible to help minimise impacts on traffic during daytime hours, as well as reduce the period of work,” he said.

A map showing the lane closure and lengthy detour.

Marine access beneath the bridge will be closed during the entire project.

The bridge upgrade is jointly funded by the federal government’s Safer Local Roads and Infrastructure Program, in partnership with Noosa Council.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share