100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Man facing 36 charges after allegedly secretly filming people in their homes

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Health retreat seeks approval after council letter

An application to formalise an existing mental health retreat in the Sunshine Coast hinterland has opened for public feedback, after the operators were issued More

Consultation open for multi-sports court at popular park

Public consultation has opened on a proposed multi-sports half court in Landsborough, with residents invited to provide feedback on the concept before any funding More

22-year-old ‘living fossil’ fish caught at Coast dam

A rare 22-year-old saratoga has been caught and released at Ewen Maddock Dam, offering a remarkable snapshot of the health of one of the More

Local creperie takes over popular patisserie

The team behind French restaurant Flo’s Creperie has expanded into the world of patisserie by taking over a much-loved French bakery in Alexandra Headland. The Flo’s More

Photo of the day: beach conference

Photographer John Luff captured this moment of stillness of two friends witnessing the dawn of a new day at Mudjimba Beach. If you have a More

New $400k fire truck boosts frontline firefighting capability

A $400,000 state-of-the-art fire truck has been delivered to a Sunshine Coast rural fire brigade. The Isuzu dual-cab medium attack vehicle, equipped with advanced crew-protection More

A man has been charged with 36 offences after police investigated allegations of people being filmed in their homes without their knowledge.

Police will allege a 32-year-old Maroochydore man filmed people from outside their homes, largely through windows, on his mobile phone.

Detectives from the Sunshine Coast Criminal Investigation Branch and the Crime and Intelligence Command Sexual Crime Unit worked together after the execution of a search warrant at a Maroochydore home on February 10 allegedly uncovered child exploitation material.

Also allegedly located during the search were photos and videos of about 40 people that had been unknowingly filmed in their homes from late 2021 to February 2025.

As part of Operation Xray Pelham, police conducted doorknocks and other investigations to identify 23 people featured in the recordings, including four children, all residing in Maroochydore.

The man was arrested at a Maroochydore address yesterday and charged with 36 offences, including 29 counts of observations or recordings in breach of privacy, five counts of indecent treatment of children under 16 and one count each of indecent treatment of children under 12 and stalking.

Sunshine Coast CIB officer in charge Detective Senior Sergeant Robert Lowry said he was pleased with the result.

“I appreciate this is a confronting incident for people living in Maroochydore and appreciate the community’s cooperation as we completed our thorough investigations,” he said.

“Detectives will continue to prioritise the privacy and well-being of those affected.

“People should not have to fear a breach of privacy in the comfort of their own home, so I’m pleased that we have a result and justice for those impacted.”

The man has been refused police bail and is due to appear in Maroochydore Magistrates Court today.

Police believe there are about 17 people yet to be identified in photos and videos, and are continuing to appeal to anyone with information to contact police.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink by providing information using the online suspicious activity form 24hrs per day. Quote this reference number: QP2500433102.

Report crime information anonymously via Crime Stoppers. Call 1800 333 000 or report online.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share