100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Risk of sinking': safety concerns prompt removal of iconic Noosa houseboat

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Cat’s tick ordeal highlights risk

A Sunshine Coast cat’s battle with paralysis has emphasised the danger that ticks pose to pets, as new research shows where the tiny arachnids More

Pallister caps dream meet with second Ledecky defeat

Lani Pallister has toppled swimming legend Katie Ledecky for a second time in 24 hours to complete her stunning Pan Pacific championship campaign with More

Land rezoning plan targets future business growth

Community feedback is being sought about rezoning around 20ha of land in a hinterland town. A proposed amendment to the Noosa Plan 2020 would rezone More

Surf lifesavers encouraged to join police ranks

Surf lifesavers are being urged to consider careers with the police force under a new partnership that could also see officers volunteering at the More

New coffee venture brews support for families

A new not-for-profit coffee initiative aimed at helping families access vital health services is set to open in the Sunshine Coast hinterland soon. Founded by More

School expansion worth $47m unveiled

A major project has delivered new learning areas, specialist facilities and room for more than 1300 students at a growing Sunshine Coast school. Stage 2 More

A houseboat that became something of a landmark on a popular river has been removed from the water after more than two decades.

The 12m boat was recognisable thanks to its timber cladding, green tin roof and rooftop deck.

It had sat afloat the Noosa River on a registered mooring since at least the early 2000s, however, its deterioration over recent months sparked safety concerns that it might sink.

A Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ) spokesperson told Sunshine Coast News it had been actively monitoring the state of the houseboat since late 2024.

Related story: Anchored holiday houseboats prompt action

“Due to the observed deteriorating condition of the vessel, in January 2025 MSQ issued a formal direction requiring the owner to undertake repairs to the vessel or remove it from the water as there was an increasing risk of it sinking in the river,” the spokesperson said.

The houseboat was removed from the was after it began sinking. Picture: Clayton’s Towing

“After this direction was issued, despite the owner’s attempts to remedy, the houseboat deteriorated further during January 2025, including failure of the vessel’s flotation chambers, resulting in the vessel developing a dangerous list.”

The vessel began sinking and MSQ issued a direction for the vessel to be removed as soon as possible.

“The owner was unable to comply, so to ensure immediate public safety and to protect the Noosa River environment, MSQ intervened and engaged a salvage contractor.

“It is standard practice for MSQ to seek compensation from the owner or their insurers when intervention is required.”

Clayton’s Towing was contracted to remove and demolish the boat on January 31.

Want more free local news? Follow Sunshine Coast News on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, and sign up for our FREE daily news email.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share