100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Mayor reiterates support for housing projects 'that align with planning scheme'

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

‘Unwavering dedication’: Coast educators earn national acclaim

Two Sunshine Coast teachers have been recognised as being among the country’s most outstanding educators. A passion for science and a love of inspiring young More

Photo of the day: coast watcher

Timothy Bell captured this majestic bird watching over Mudjimba Beach on a grey day. If you have a photo of the day offering, email photo@sunshinecoastnews.com.au More.

Chicken chain fires up new waterside eatery

A well-known chicken shop is about to open in the Sunshine Coast’s largest shopping centre. Nando’s will open at Sunshine Plaza on Tuesday, the brand’s More

Entire CBD block hits market with developers circling

A CBD site spanning 1.24 hectares spread across 20 lots is being offered for sale. The land parcel is bordered by First Avenue, Mayes Avenue, More

Two injured by projectiles thrown from bridge

Police are investigating a traffic incident in Buderim early this morning. Around 1am, police and emergency services responded to reports that two vehicles had been More

Your say: cafe closure, fireworks, road upgrades and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

The mayor of Noosa is optimistic the state government will “respect the community’s sentiment” regarding two proposed developments.

Decisions are yet to be made on a 196-unit complex at Noosa Junction and a 40-unit precinct in Tewantin, which will have affordable housing components.

The applications have been lodged with the state-facilitated development (SFD) process, which fast-tracks projects of priority to the state government and bypasses council assessment.

Mayor Frank Wilkie said he had held talks with Deputy Premier Jarrod Bleijie, amid expectations the proposed developments would comply with the local planning scheme, including height limits, should they be approved.

“Over the past few months, the collaborative discussions we’ve had with Minister Bleijie and the state planning team have shown they are listening to local communities,” he said.

Want more free local news? Follow Sunshine Coast News on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, and sign up for our FREE daily news email.

The site of the proposed 40-unit development.

“Minister Bleijie has made it clear that we are a key part in this planning process and that’s exactly what we’ve seen in recent months.

“Having all levels of government working together is exactly what the community expects and ought to be applauded.

“It gives us confidence that the Noosa Plan 2020 and the community’s sentiment will be respected and we eagerly await a decision.”

The deputy premier told Sunshine Coast News late Monday that the proposed developments would need to meet council requirements.

“As per the election commitment, the state government will make sure that any SFD developments are compliant with the local planning scheme,” Mr Bleijie said

“Applications that aren’t consistent with the planning scheme won’t be supported.”

Prior to the October state election, the former government passed legislation permitting applicants to bypass council planning processes to build developments of potentially any height if the project contained an element affordable housing.

In December, the newly elected LNP state government passed legislation, equipping the planning minister with new powers to amend or repeal existing SFD applications.

Council’s director of development and regulation Richard MacGillivray said council staff had put forward their views on the proposed developments.

“Our officers have been involved in the process, providing clear advice to the state government, regarding the proposals and requesting modifications be made to ensure alignment with the local planning scheme,” he said.

“Having council involved in the decision-making process is a model that works and produces better outcomes for the community.”

Cr Wilkie said council supported the need for more affordable housing, providing the size and scale were appropriate for the shire.

The blocks at Lanyana Way, Noosa Junction, that have been earmarked for a 195-unit development. Picture: Nearmap

“We want to work with developers and the state government to ensure important housing projects are delivered that aligns with Noosa’s planning scheme and benefit our community,” he said.

Both development sites were described on the SFD public register as “highly suitable for delivering more well-located homes for Queenslanders” because of their proximity to active and local transport options and local amenity.

Noosa Chamber of Commerce and Industry president Ralph Rogers and secretary Ingrid Jackson has previously stated that they supported the Tewantin proposal as a way to tackle the housing affordability crisis.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share