100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Incredibly disappointing' outcome for participants as cyclone spoils triathlon

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

‘Unwavering dedication’: Coast educators earn national acclaim

Two Sunshine Coast teachers have been recognised as being among the country’s most outstanding educators. A passion for science and a love of inspiring young More

Photo of the day: coast watcher

Timothy Bell captured this majestic bird watching over Mudjimba Beach on a grey day. If you have a photo of the day offering, email photo@sunshinecoastnews.com.au More.

Chicken chain fires up new waterside eatery

A well-known chicken shop is about to open in the Sunshine Coast’s largest shopping centre. Nando’s will open at Sunshine Plaza on Tuesday, the brand’s More

Entire CBD block hits market with developers circling

A CBD site spanning 1.24 hectares spread across 20 lots is being offered for sale. The land parcel is bordered by First Avenue, Mayes Avenue, More

Two injured by projectiles thrown from bridge

Police are investigating a traffic incident in Buderim early this morning. Around 1am, police and emergency services responded to reports that two vehicles had been More

Your say: cafe closure, fireworks, road upgrades and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

One of the Sunshine Coast’s premier events has been postponed because of the impending arrival of Tropical Cyclone Alfred.

The Mooloolaba Triathlon, which attracts more than 5000 competitors and usually injects more than $8.5 million into the local economy, was abandoned on Tuesday as the storm threatened to move closer to the coast.

Sunshine Coast mayor Rosanna Natoli said the event was “being rescheduled”.

“The permits have been suspended and council officers are working with the organisers to find a suitable date to reschedule the event,” she said.

“We know this is incredibly disappointing for the participants, for the spectators and for our community, but the safety of our people and all of the participants who might seek to travel here is what’s really important.

“So, this difficult decision has been made, because we need to keep everyone safe, and we know our community will understand that.”

Beaches around the region are closed. Picture: Chris Gilmore

The Mooloolaba Triathlon team confirmed the event will not take place as planned this weekend.

“The event team has been working with event stakeholders in relation to Tropical Cyclone Alfred and the potential impacts for this weekend’s Mooloolaba Triathlon,” a statement said,

“The safety of athletes, supporters, the community, volunteers and staff are first and foremost when making the decision to not hold the event this weekend, including the safety of travel to and from the event.

“The team is working closely with all stakeholders to secure a new event date and will communicate directly with athletes with further updates as soon as possible.

“This news will be disappointing to many however ensuring the safety of all involved in the event, and the local community, is top priority.”

 

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share