100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Men's group shut down as council demands permits for beach gatherings

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

‘Sweet as’: new store to open at tourist hotspot

A popular Sunshine Coast ‘born’ chocolatier is set to open a new store on one of Australia’s iconic beachfront retail strips. Opening in October, Noosa More

Football’s popularity set to soar in region

Football is expected to surge in popularity on the Sunshine Coast with key international matches to be contested in the region during the 2032 More

From courtroom to cocktails, distiller starts afresh

A micro distillery operating from a 25sqm shed behind a law firm on the Coast is proving to be a high achiever. The Law Artisan More

Man charged after alleged wrong-side motorway crash

A man has been charged after a two-vehicle crash on the Sunshine Motorway, with police alleging he was driving on the wrong side of More

Maleny Dairies responds to questions over interstate milk

Questions over the source of Maleny Dairies milk have prompted the company to clarify how much of its supply comes from Queensland farmers. In a More

Council planners back taller hotel plan

Council planning officers have recommended approval of a taller version of a major hotel development despite it exceeding the current height allowance. The recommendation is More

The leader of a weekly beach gathering that has been shut down because it does not have a permit hopes to engage with Sunshine Coast Council to achieve a resolution.

Cristian Trujillo said he received a phone call from the council last month advising he needed a permit to hold his weekly men’s gathering at Mudjimba Beach.

Mr Trujillo has been running the sunrise gathering – which incorporates yoga, meditation and mindfulness – early on a Thursday morning at the beach for about six months.

He said he knew of three or four other people who led similar groups on Sunshine Coast beaches who had also been told they needed permits to continue.

Mr Trujillo, who runs a business in a similar field, said it had previously been unclear to him whether he needed a permit for the gathering, which he said was not run for profit.

“The sunrise gathering, we donate our time. We ask for donations. Some people give us coins, someone might give us $5,” he said.

The men gather at sunrise on the beach at Mudjimba.

“Basically, what we collect covers our expenses. We run advertising and expenses bringing this to the community and bringing people who are not following us to the gathering.”

He said he was told the council was acting on an anonymous complaint but he does not harbour a grudge towards whoever it was.

“Whether they said it because they were upset, didn’t understand us, competition, it could be an angry person, my approach is love and compassion,” he said.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.auYou must include your name and suburb.

“We are doing something good for the community. Someone didn’t like that? That’s okay. Out of this, we are going to grow, to come out of this stronger.”

A Sunshine Coast Council spokesperson said events in Marcoola and Mudjimba had been reviewed in response to community concern.

“Some activities occurred without a permit and we provided the event organisers with permit process information. Council will assist them with their applications,” the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said the permit process allowed the council to ensure applicants had public liability insurance, first aid certificates, relevant fitness industry qualifications, bookings to ensure no overlap and a site map to make sure community use was still available.

Not-for-profit groups were exempt from fees payable for permits, the spokesperson said.

The sunrise gathering, with Cristian Trujillo laying down at front.

Mr Trujillo said he had received offers from people to pay for a permit, offers of legal advice and other offers of support since posting on social media that the permit request had put a stop to the gatherings.

He was unsure about whether he would apply for a permit, saying his work took him overseas and interstate, and he felt obliged to “commit” to ensuring the gathering always went ahead if he took a permit.

He said he hoped to speak to the council about finding a solution that would benefit the community.

“For me, the approach is different. Can we talk? Open up the conversation with the council and open up the conversation with the community about the benefit of this work,” he said.

Mr Trujillo said he hoped the attention the permit interruption had drawn to the gatherings would raise awareness of mental health issues, particularly for men, and of the importance of such activities.

“People with social isolation, they come to these and change their mind. They come and feel support,” he said.

“It’s about creating an awareness. We need to do something. Everyone is responsible.”

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share