100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Man arrested over decades-old alleged murder of 25-year-old woman

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Restaurant’s ‘food bible’ double award win

A double award victory has placed a hinterland restaurant among Australia’s standout dining destinations and recognised it as Queensland’s best restaurant for 2026. The Woodshed More

Former labour hire firm fined over farm records

A former labour hire provider and its manager have been fined over false records linked to workers at a Sunshine Coast strawberry farm. The Fair More

Hidden signal in videos could help solve crimes

Technology being refined on the Sunshine Coast could help solve some of the world’s most complex criminal cases, from hostage situations to child exploitation More

Ashley Robinson: extending my appetite

I had a light-bulb moment last week. Well, it took a while, but the light bulb eventually came on. It all started innocently enough with More

Proposed motorway project faces scrutiny

A plan for two ramps at a key stretch of motorway is being examined by the federal government over potential environmental impacts. The Queensland Department More

Feedback opens on The Wave station designs

Plans for station precincts between Beerwah and Caloundra are now open for public feedback as work continues on Stage 1 of The Wave. The consultation More

A man is behind bars and will likely face extradition after his arrest over a woman’s suspected murder more than two decades ago.

Keith Lees, 72, remains in custody after spending about 18 months allegedly evading an arrest warrant over the death of his former partner, 25-year-old Meaghan Louise Rose, who was discovered at the base of Point Cartwright Cliffs on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast in 1997.

The warrant was issued in July 2023 in relation to the suspected murder.

Lees was refused bail in a Sydney court on Friday and will remain in custody to face court again on Thursday.

Ms Rose’s death was initially ruled a suicide but the investigation was reopened in 2009 and a $500,000 reward for information was announced in June 2023.

Queensland detectives travelled to Victoria and spoke to her former partner that month, before his car was found abandoned the next day at Portland in the state’s southwest.

Want more free local news? Follow Sunshine Coast News on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, and sign up for our FREE daily news email.

He allegedly gave a false name to other officers at Port Fairy, but was spotted again on CCTV at Waurn Ponds Shopping Centre in Geelong, where he purchased new clothes, before the last sighting of him at Shepparton train station.

Relatives previously urged Lees to stop running from the interstate arrest warrant.

Months after he disappeared, his adult child Wren Dawnsong urged him to surrender and bring closure for Ms Rose’s family.

“My heart breaks for them daily, justice needs to be done,” they said.

Ms Rose’s older sister Christine Richards urged anyone helping Lees to avoid the warrant to “think about who you are dealing with”.

“Help us to bring justice for Meaghan after all this time, please help us let her rest in peace,” she said.

Lees was arrested at Dural in Sydney’s northwest on Thursday morning.

In addition to his apprehension on the warrant, he has been charged with assaulting police, dealing with identity information to commit an indictable offence, and possessing identity information to commit an indictable offence.

He tried to bite an officer while he was in custody, NSW Police alleged.

Queensland Police have applied for Lees’ extradition.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share