100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Teen sentenced to six years' detention for causing crash that killed three women

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Motorway interchange plan gains momentum

Plans for new ramps on the Sunshine Motorway have progressed, with a contract awarded for the project’s detailed design. The Sunshine Motorway and West Coolum More

Rail network disrupted, major road closed after fatal vehicle rollover

A man has died after a vehicle rolled onto railway tracks at Kulangoor, causing significant disruptions to the rail network on Friday morning. Emergency services More

Coast man dies in early morning crash

A Sunshine Coast man has died following a crash west of Gympie overnight. Emergency services were called to Gympie Woolooga Road, near Little Widgee Road More

Hinterland tourism development faces key council vote

A controversial farm-stay tourist park proposed for the hinterland is set to go before Sunshine Coast Council next week. Council officers are recommending the development More

Council moves to sell properties over unpaid rates

Sunshine Coast Council is set to begin the process of selling properties with long-overdue rates debts. The matter is outlined in the agenda for next More

Restaurant chain opens eatery in food hub

A popular restaurant chain has opened a venue near four other Japanese diners in a suburb with a 'growing food scene'. Motto Motto, which is More

A teenage boy who caused a crash that killed three women and injured a fourth while speeding in a stolen car has been sentenced to six years’ detention.

Nurse Sheree Robertson, 52, Kelsie Davies, 17, and pastor Michale Chandler, 29 were killed after their vehicles collided after being struck by a stolen car driven by the youth.

A fourth woman, Kaylah Behrens, 23, was critically injured.

Friends and family of the victims filled the Maroochydore District Court on Thursday, as District Judge Gary Long concluded a sentencing hearing for the youth that began in November.

Judge Long said the youth’s offending resulted in catastrophic events and “horrendous consequences from your egregious behaviour”.

The youth, now aged 14, of Bundaberg, appeared via video link from custody wearing a white long-sleeved formal shirt.

The youth previously pleaded guilty to dangerous operation of a vehicle causing three deaths and grievous bodily harm while speeding.

He also pleaded guilty to receiving stolen property, two counts of unlawful use of a motor vehicle, stealing and unlicensed driving.

The youth with other juveniles stole a Mercedes-Benz from a Maryborough home on April 30, 2023, and drove at speeds between 180 and 200km/h.

Judge Long said the alleged co-offenders argued with the youth and exited the vehicle after saying they feared for their lives due to his driving.

The youth was seen crossing double lines and passing within a metre of other vehicles during 10 minutes of driving that covered about 12km.

The youth hit the back of the victims’ Holden Astra sedan, forcing it into oncoming traffic.

Judge Long said a Mazda 2 vehicle, driven by Ms Robertson returning home from a hospital shift and travelling in the opposite lane, had no chance to avoid the victims before a fatal collision.

The youth was found at the scene curled up on the ground.

“You were crying and complaining that your foot was hurting. You said you were hurt everywhere but there were no observable injuries,” Judge Long said.

The teen driver at a police station told a youth justice worker he had been “driving mad and angrily” and smacked into the back of car before hitting a tree.

“It was a dumb thing to do. I was angry about the argument with my friend,” the youth said at the time.

Judge Long said Ms Behrens suffered life-threatening, extensive and significant injuries requiring lengthy treatment and has been left with ongoing health impacts.

Judge Long said no sentence could undo the “grave losses and impacts that have resulted from this offending”.

The youth had been involved with child protection services since the age of eight and had been exposed to serious domestic violence and drug use.

Judge Long said he had to take this background into account, as well as the youth’s cognitive impairment from a traumatic brain injury that affected his rational decision-making and impulse control.

The youth had convictions recorded and will be released after a little more than two years, after serving 60 per cent of the detention period and already spending 583 days in custody.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share