100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Disharmony on approvals leads to halting of work on land development

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

School expansion worth $47m unveiled

A major project has delivered new learning areas, specialist facilities and room for more than 1300 students at a growing Sunshine Coast school. Stage 2 More

Man hospitalised after serious single-vehicle crash

A 24-year-old man has been taken to hospital in a potentially life-threatening condition following a single-vehicle rollover at Glenview on Friday morning. Emergency services were More

Your say: tallest building, housing project and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name More

New seawall complete as beachfront reopens

A long-running seawall reconstruction is nearing a major milestone, with key parts of the popular foreshore set to reopen ahead of the September school More

New wine bar puts a Spanish spin on coastal dining

The team behind three popular Sunshine Coast venues has opened a new wine bar just steps from the beach, bringing a taste of Spain’s More

Dolphins filmed using shells to hunt fish

Sunshine Coast researchers have captured footage of dolphins using seashells to catch fish off Queensland’s coast. A University of the Sunshine Coast team recorded two More

Land buyers have been left in “distress and financial strain” after the Sunshine Coast Council halted a major development for lacking the right approvals but the developer says it has done nothing wrong.

One of Australia’s largest developers, AVID Property Group, has been expanding its Harmony estate in Palmview.

The estate is already home to 7500 residents on 2500 existing lots and land has been selling in two more stages of the project.

The council issued a stop-work order on construction of new lots in May, claiming the developer did not have appropriate approvals to sell land contracts.

The council claimed buyers had entered contracts with the expectation that completion dates were achievable.

Mayor Rosanna Natoli accused AVID of being aware it did not have the necessary development entitlements to sell the lots, leading to delays and additional costs to buyers.

Ms Natoli wrote, in a letter to AVID chief executive Cameron Holt, that land purchasers reported it was difficult to obtain reliable timelines from the developer about building new homes in the estate.

“These issues have caused significant distress and financial strain due to repeated deferrals of completion dates by AVID,” she said.

Ms Natoli also expressed concerns over delays in finalising the infrastructure agreement which would grant entitlements to the lots.

She also criticised the developer for making slow progress on delivering necessary sewerage infrastructure, and called on AVID to fast-track implementation of the system so that approvals could be granted.

An AVID spokesperson confirmed there had been “challenges” in gaining infrastructure approvals that led to a delayed completion date of March 2025, pending the council’s decision.

The developer of Harmony has been asked not to sell any more blocks until an approval issue has been resolved.

The company was adamant selling the lots was above board.

“AVID is fully compliant with the Land Sales Act which anticipates the selling of lots without approvals and requires a disclosure statement in those terms,” the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said contracts disclosed that development approvals were yet to be obtained and allowed buyers to terminate with a deposit refund if the approvals were not granted within 12 months.

Want more free local news? Follow Sunshine Coast News on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, and sign up for our FREE daily news email.

“AVID has committed not to invoke the sunset clause in the buyer contracts,” the spokesperson said.

“Of course, should any buyer no longer wish to proceed, we will work with them to exit the contract and enable their purchase elsewhere.”

Ms Natoli requested AVID stop entering into new contracts with potential land buyers until the necessary development entitlements were given to prevent further impacts on purchasers.

The AVID spokesperson said it was working with the council to secure final approval and had paused land releases until it was resolved.

The developer said that once final approval was received, buyers could settle their land and start construction of their new homes.

 

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share