100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Families may be banned from unfenced campsites after dingo incidents

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Restaurant’s ‘food bible’ double award win

A double award victory has placed a hinterland restaurant among Australia’s standout dining destinations and recognised it as Queensland’s best restaurant for 2026. The Woodshed More

Former labour hire firm fined over farm records

A former labour hire provider and its manager have been fined over false records linked to workers at a Sunshine Coast strawberry farm. The Fair More

Hidden signal in videos could help solve crimes

Technology being refined on the Sunshine Coast could help solve some of the world’s most complex criminal cases, from hostage situations to child exploitation More

Ashley Robinson: extending my appetite

I had a light-bulb moment last week. Well, it took a while, but the light bulb eventually came on. It all started innocently enough with More

Proposed motorway project faces scrutiny

A plan for two ramps at a key stretch of motorway is being examined by the federal government over potential environmental impacts. The Queensland Department More

Feedback opens on The Wave station designs

Plans for station precincts between Beerwah and Caloundra are now open for public feedback as work continues on Stage 1 of The Wave. The consultation More

Families could be restricted from camping at a popular tourist spot after a spate of dingo attacks.

The Queensland Government will consider banning families with young children from camping outside unfenced areas of K’gari (Fraser Island) amid fears the next dingo incident could be fatal.

Rangers have been called to 16 dingo attacks at K’gari in 2024, including nine involving children.

A four-year-old girl was flown to hospital in the most recent attack after she was bitten on the chest by a dingo while a group was fishing on the island on August 17.

Fraser Coast mayor George Seymour has asked Queensland’s Environment Department to restrict camping areas for families following the incident.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Deputy Premier Cameron Dick said the government would consider the ban, which would stop families with children younger than 12 from camping outside areas with dingo-deterrent fencing.

“Dingoes can be dangerous for young children,” he told reporters on Monday. “If further action needs to be taken, we’ll take that.”

Mr Seymour did not believe it was appropriate for children younger than 12 to be camping outside the island’s many fenced areas due to the rise in incidents.

“This is getting to the stage where it is frightening, whether the next one will be a fatality or not,” he told ABC News.

A dingo at the beach at K’gari. Picture: Shutterstock

The state government already recommends families with children younger than 14 camp in the more than 10 fenced areas across the World Heritage-listed island north of Brisbane.

Dingoes on K’gari are protected by law under a state conservation and risk management strategy.

“I think the principle … is to be careful when you’re on K’gari,” Mr Dick said.

“It’s a beautiful place.

“We want Queenslanders and in fact people from … around the world to be able to access K’gari but it must be done in a safer fashion, so we’ll take advice on that (camping restriction).”

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our FREE daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email at the bottom of this article.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share