100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

More than 20 boats move on after river anchoring rule introduced

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Police seek information after alleged assault at beach

Police are seeking public assistance after an elderly man was allegedly assaulted at a Sunshine Coast beach. Police allege a 74-year-old man was assaulted by More

School library used as classroom amid enrolment growth

Members of a school community have backed a call for more space after a state primary school began using its library as a classroom. The More

‘Sweet as’: new store to open at tourist hotspot

A popular Sunshine Coast ‘born’ chocolatier is set to open a new store on one of Australia’s iconic beachfront retail strips. Opening in October, Noosa More

Football’s popularity set to soar in region

Football is expected to surge in popularity on the Sunshine Coast with key international matches to be contested in the region during the 2032 More

From courtroom to cocktails, distiller starts afresh

A micro distillery operating from a 25sqm shed behind a law firm on the Coast is proving to be a high achiever. The Law Artisan More

Man charged after alleged wrong-side motorway crash

A man has been charged after a two-vehicle crash on the Sunshine Motorway, with police alleging he was driving on the wrong side of More

Boaties appear to have heeded a message from Maritime Safety Queensland and have moved some of the vessels causing congestion on the southern side of the Noosa River.

MSQ has been enforcing anchoring restrictions between Lake Doonella and the Garth Prowd Bridge since July 15 following community consultation.

Under the restrictions, which are part of the Noosa River Management Plan, vessels over 5m are no longer allowed to anchor within 60m of the shore, or be grounded on the shoreline.

Vessels under 5m are allowed to anchor in the area, as long as they are anchored safely, are complying with pollution regulations and are seaworthy.

A MSQ statement said compliance had been high and more than 20 vessels had left the area since the restrictions came into effect.

The Noosa River. Picture: Shutterstock

Maritime Safety Queensland general manager Kell Dillon thanked boaties and said the feedback from the community had been positive.

“You need only to look at the southern shore now and compare it with how it looked only a few weeks ago to realise the effect the changes have had,” Mr Dillon said.

“The southern shoreline is now far less congested, and much safer, than it was before MSQ introduced the restrictions.”

The MSQ statement said officers had been contacting owners of vessels within the area and would continue to take a commonsense approach in enforcing the anchoring restrictions.

The statement said vessels whose owners were stopping to access the shoreline for a short time were not the intended target of the new restrictions, and the focus was on those intending to leave their vessels anchored or beached in the area for long periods.

Mr Dillon said MSQ was working through issues raised by boaties including a lack of transit zones and hitching options.

Help us deliver more news by registering for our FREE daily news feed. All it requires is your email at the bottom of this article.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share