100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Turf club could host Eagle Farm races after building 'black hole' linked to scared horses

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

‘Unwavering dedication’: Coast educators earn national acclaim

Two Sunshine Coast teachers have been recognised as being among the country’s most outstanding educators. A passion for science and a love of inspiring young More

Photo of the day: coast watcher

Timothy Bell captured this majestic bird watching over Mudjimba Beach on a grey day. If you have a photo of the day offering, email photo@sunshinecoastnews.com.au More.

Chicken chain fires up new waterside eatery

A well-known chicken shop is about to open in the Sunshine Coast’s largest shopping centre. Nando’s will open at Sunshine Plaza on Tuesday, the brand’s More

Entire CBD block hits market with developers circling

A CBD site spanning 1.24 hectares spread across 20 lots is being offered for sale. The land parcel is bordered by First Avenue, Mayes Avenue, More

Two injured by projectiles thrown from bridge

Police are investigating a traffic incident in Buderim early this morning. Around 1am, police and emergency services responded to reports that two vehicles had been More

Your say: cafe closure, fireworks, road upgrades and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Sunshine Coast Turf Club is on standby to host races from a major racetrack after a jockey boycott amid claims a nearby construction site is scaring horses.

Jockeys have refused to ride at Queensland’s biggest track, Eagle Farm, over concerns the building site looks like a “black hole” to horses.

They walked off the track with two races remaining at the weekend following a fall, sparking crisis talks.

Sunshine Coast Turf Club chief executive John Miller said the possibility of Corbould Park hosting an Eagle Farm meet had been flagged but was “not 100 per cent confirmed”.

“Obviously the Brisbane Racing Club are really keen to keep racing going there, but we’ve been told that potentially Saturday, August 10, would be one date that may have to be moved from Brisbane,” he said.

“If that happens, we’ll run the Brisbane metro meet on the Saturday, and then our Sunday meeting we’d likely move to the poly track.

“That was the only one that was flagged with us. I think they’re looking at putting up some boarding or signage to block out whatever the horses are shying at, which might take a few weeks.

“They can also run meetings at Doomben but they can’t run every meeting there.”

Mr Miller said any potential moving of race meetings would be confirmed next week.

Last Saturday, jockey and former The Voice contestant Robbie Dolan was thrown from his saddle and suffered a broken wrist after his horse shifted abruptly at the 600m mark at Eagle Farm.

The Queensland Jockeys Association claimed there had been at least 15 incidents in 2024 at the same stretch of the track and blamed the construction site.

Racing Queensland CEO Jason Scott believed horses were being spooked by one of the site’s buildings that was covered in black mesh.

“The horses see that as a black hole,” he told a Queensland estimates hearing on Wednesday.

Mr Scott said they were working with property developer Mirvac and the CFMEU to change the site’s mesh colour to blue but was unsure whether that would resolve the issue.

“We don’t have Mr Ed the talking horse to tell us exactly what the problem is,” he said.

Mirvac has been contacted for comment.

Mr Scott said they had known about the issue for a “short period of time” and supported the jockeys’ decision to pause racing.

“We won’t race at Eagle Farm until we have got a mitigation that the jockeys agree with,” he said.

Dolan, an Ireland-born Group One-winning jockey, was expected to be sidelined for weeks.

“Broken hand but could have been worse, if everything goes right I’ll be back in a couple of weeks,” he posted on social media.

It is believed only horses that have not trained at Eagle Farm have baulked at the 600m mark.

Racing Queensland plans to trial and train horses until they are acclimatised with the race track.

It pledged to work with jockeys until they are comfortable riding at Eagle Farm.

Scroll down to SUBSCRIBE for our FREE news feed, direct to your inbox daily.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share