100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Stretch of Bruce Highway set for $2.5m upgrade to embankment

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Restaurant’s ‘food bible’ double award win

A double award victory has placed a hinterland restaurant among Australia’s standout dining destinations and recognised it as Queensland’s best restaurant for 2026. The Woodshed More

Former labour hire firm fined over farm records

A former labour hire provider and its manager have been fined over false records linked to workers at a Sunshine Coast strawberry farm. The Fair More

Hidden signal in videos could help solve crimes

Technology being refined on the Sunshine Coast could help solve some of the world’s most complex criminal cases, from hostage situations to child exploitation More

Ashley Robinson: extending my appetite

I had a light-bulb moment last week. Well, it took a while, but the light bulb eventually came on. It all started innocently enough with More

Proposed motorway project faces scrutiny

A plan for two ramps at a key stretch of motorway is being examined by the federal government over potential environmental impacts. The Queensland Department More

Feedback opens on The Wave station designs

Plans for station precincts between Beerwah and Caloundra are now open for public feedback as work continues on Stage 1 of The Wave. The consultation More

A stretch of the Bruce Highway on the Sunshine Coast will be upgraded over the coming months to reduce the risk of landslips.

The $2.5 million project will focus on a short section of the embankment supporting the northbound carriageway of the highway just south of Cooroy.

Work is due to begin this month and is expected to take up to three months to complete, weather and construction conditions permitting.

A spokesperson for the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) said reduced speed limits would be in place while the works were carried out.

“Safety is the top priority for TMR and road conditions across the region are regularly monitored to ensure safety standards are maintained,” they said.

“Through these regular checks, it was identified that improvements were needed to maintain roadside stability and drainage at this location, just south of Cooroy, reducing the likelihood of future landslips.

A map posted by MP Sandy Bolton showing the location of the works.

“The majority of the works will take place during the day, Monday to Friday, with two lanes open at all times.

“Some night works will be necessary, requiring a single-lane closure.

“Occasional weekend works will be considered if required.

Related story: Interactive aerial images show how our roads have changed

“Reduced speed limits will be in place at all times throughout the works, adjacent to the site.

“Where lane closures apply, traffic controllers, reduced speed limits and signage will be in place to safeguard road users and workers.”

Noosa MP Sandy Bolton posted about the works on social media, saying key works would include strengthening of the embankment, replacing a damaged guardrail, removing debris from concrete drainage channels and minor vegetation clearing.

“Motorists may experience delays when temporary single-lane closures are in place at night,” she posted.

Slope stabilisation works are done by TMR as part of the region’s Maintenance Preservation and Environment Program.

Scroll down to SUBSCRIBE for our FREE news feed, direct to your inbox daily.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share