100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Residents ramp up fight against proposed quarry expansion

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Coast median home value soars to be on par with Sydney

With the prospect of paying at least $1m for a home in many of Australia's capital cities, buyers are once again looking to escape More

Your say: hotel plan, festival site and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Camping operator seeks funds for approval after complaint

The operator of a creekside campground has set up a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of approvals after a complaint was received More

Development of iconic farm set for council vote

Councillors will next week determine whether to approve a development plan for an iconic farm, with the proposal to establish about 420 dwellings recommended More

Beloved family cafe closes after more than a decade

A family-owned cafe that had operated in the Sunshine Coast hinterland for more than a decade has closed amid what it called a “lease More

‘Missing piece in the puzzle’: mayor hails streetscape project

Sunshine Coast mayor Rosanna Natoli says a $27 million streetscape project will provide a "seamless connection" between business and community hubs in the heart More

The fight to stop a Sunshine Coast hinterland quarry from expanding is heating up, with more than 100 community members rallying at the weekend to voice their concerns over the proposal.

Mayoral hopefuls joined divisional candidates Jenny Broderick, Kristy Taylor-Rose and Stan Nawrocki at Sunday’s meeting at Glass House Mountains to field questions from the crowd.

Hanson submitted a proposal to Sunshine Coast Council last year, seeking to double extraction volume from 600,000 tonnes to 1.2 million tonnes per year.

Council asked for more information, which Hanson must supply before March 8.

Save Our Glass House Mountains campaign co-creator Megan Standring said that while she was happy with the turnout and passion of supporters, there was still more work to do.

“There was a little bit of disappointment from me in regard to the candidates not giving their opinion on the quarry, but I understand the legalities in that,” she said.

“I think there was a big consensus in the room that if we knew what we know today this quarry would not be approved, so we just need to keep working hard. One step at a time.”

Residents during Sunday’s meeting on the future of the Hanson quarry.

Save Our Glass House Mountains has raised concerns around environmental effects, increased noise and impacts on tourism as potential problems from the plan to expand the quarry.

But last month quarry manager Chris Wilson told Sunshine Coast News the company was conscious of the site’s surrounds and the people who live and work nearby.

“Hanson is committed to operating respectfully within the local community,” he said.

“This includes a continued commitment to regular and open communication with neighbours and local residents.”

Related story: Conservation group escalates efforts to halt quarry expansion

He said the quarry was a crucial service to the region.

“The Glasshouse Quarry is an important part of the supply chain for the growing construction industry on the Sunshine Coast,” he said.

Ms Standring said Hanson had until March 8 to respond to state and local government queries on the application before public consultation would open.

“We’re actually going to start having submission workshops and get people coming together,” she said.

“We want to encourage people to really work out why they personally don’t want this expansion, and to stand up for what they believe in.

“I’m not an activist, I’m just a normal farming person that loves the Glass House Mountains, and I want to protect them.”

A Facebook group opposing the plans, Save Our Glass House Mountains, has more than 2500 members.

The mayoral candidates in attendance on Sunday were Wayne Parcell, Jason O’Pray, Rosanna Natoli, Ashley Robinson and Min Swan. SCN understands Michael Burgess was unwell.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share