100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Court of Appeal dismisses applications by Clive Palmer and his Coolum resort

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

School expansion worth $47m unveiled

A major project has delivered new learning areas, specialist facilities and room for more than 1300 students at a growing Sunshine Coast school. Stage 2 More

Man hospitalised after serious single-vehicle crash

A 24-year-old man has been taken to hospital in a potentially life-threatening condition following a single-vehicle rollover at Glenview on Friday morning. Emergency services were More

Your say: tallest building, housing project and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name More

New seawall complete as beachfront reopens

A long-running seawall reconstruction is nearing a major milestone, with key parts of the popular foreshore set to reopen ahead of the September school More

New wine bar puts a Spanish spin on coastal dining

The team behind three popular Sunshine Coast venues has opened a new wine bar just steps from the beach, bringing a taste of Spain’s More

Dolphins filmed using shells to hunt fish

Sunshine Coast researchers have captured footage of dolphins using seashells to catch fish off Queensland’s coast. A University of the Sunshine Coast team recorded two More

Billionaire businessman Clive Palmer has failed in his bid to halt criminal proceedings, including fraud and dishonesty.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission brought charges against Palmer and his Leisure Coolum resort in February 2018 alleging fraud and dishonesty.

Palmer’s barrister Peter Dunning KC has previously denied any wrongdoing by his client.

The Supreme Court in November 2022 dismissed Palmer’s attempts to halt the Magistrates Court criminal case after he claimed the commission and prosecutors had engaged in a “abuse of process” and denied his human rights.

Palmer took the decisions to the Queensland Court of Appeal, which on Tuesday dismissed his appeals with costs.

Some charges relate to an allegation that Palmer and Leisure Coolum broke the law over a proposed buy-out of timeshare investors in the Sunshine Coast resort without making an offer within the required two-month time limit.

Palmer is also accused of improperly transferring more than $12 million through his company Mineralogy to Media Circus and Cosmo Developments, and ultimately using the funds for the Palmer United Party 2013 federal election campaign.

The Magistrates Court matters had not progressed due to Palmer and his interests making applications designed to bring the prosecutions to an end, Appeal Court Justice Jean Dalton said in published reasons on Tuesday.

Complaints raised by Palmer and Leisure Coolum were matters of defence alleged to be available to them or legal flaws in prosecution cases, and allegations regarding the motives, decisions and actions of the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions and the commission.

“All these matters were factually undeveloped and factually contentious,” Justice Dalton said.

The charges against Palmer and Leisure Coolum are listed for mention in Brisbane Magistrates Court on February 16.

Help us deliver more news by registering for our FREE daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email at the bottom of this article.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share