100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Business 2 Business column: Can I travel without the other parent’s consent?

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Buyers’ interest ‘flooding in’ for $30m development

Property buyers are homing in on a 'premium' residential development, amid a shortage of listings on the Sunshine Coast. There have been waves of interest More

Photo of the day: sunrise surfers

Lesley Evans captured this scene at Kings Beach. If you have a photo of the day offering, email photo@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. Photos must be horizontal/landscape and may More

Jane Stephens: why professionals need to ban booze

Ban the booze for our decision makers, those who the public depends on and the ones who are paid to be physically excellent for More

B2B column: Lawyers, a ladder and a dictionary

What do these things have in common? They were all key ingredients in a recent case before the Queensland Supreme Court. Robert thought his estate planning More

Largest land holding in beachside suburb on market

A unique opportunity has arisen in Moffat Beach’s industrial precinct, offering a strategic investment for those with foresight. Known as The Entrance, the expansive property More

New dental vans add splash of colour to fleet

Two new school dental vans covered in colour are being rolled out on the Sunshine Coast, and it's hoped their bright appearance will provide More

Taking your child/ren overseas on a much-anticipated holiday post-separation or divorce should be exciting, but what happens if the other parent does not consent?

To obtain an Australian passport, each person who has parental responsibility for the child is required to provide written consent before a child’s passport can be renewed or issued.

If there is no consent for the child to travel, or be issued with an Australian passport, you will need to apply to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for approval.

Where there is a current order that permits the child to be issued with a passport and/or travel internationally, and the other parent is in breach of their obligation, such as co-signing a passport renewal or application, you can seek assistance from the court to enforce their obligation.

Seeking an order from the court is a protracted, expensive exercise, and a last resort if matters cannot be resolved through dispute resolution processes.

If you have separated and intend on travelling internationally with your children, providing the other parent as much notice is key as it will allow you to address any concerns and consider your options should they say no.

Olivia Le, Lawyer, Catton & Tondelstrand Lawyers, Kon-Tiki Business Centre Tower 1, Level 3, Suite 315, 55 Plaza Parade, Maroochydore, 5609 4933, ctlawyers.com.au

This column is part of our Business 2 Business (B2B) series featuring industry leaders sharing their expertise. For more great articles, SUBSCRIBE to our FREE news feed, direct to your inbox daily. All you need to do is enter your name and email below.

[scn_go_back_button] Return Home

Subscribe to SCN’s daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.