100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Gang armed with baseball bats and gun terrorise couple in home invasion

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

New waterways authority to begin operations

A new authority tasked with managing and maintaining Sunshine Coast waterways will begin operating from July after legislation passed state parliament last week. The Sunshine More

Market stalls credited with launching national business success

A Sunshine Coast distillery now stocked in the Qantas Brisbane Business Lounge has grown from humble beginnings at the Eumundi Markets into a national More

Coast bee discovery to take the ‘sting’ out of scars

A discovery by Sunshine Coast scientists could change how scars are treated, after researchers identified a natural compound linked to reduced skin damage. The UniSC More

Schools shortlisted for national honours

Two Sunshine Coast prep-to-Year 12 independent schools are in the running for national education awards. Matthew Flinders Anglican College at Buderim and St Andrew’s Anglican More

Your say: federal budget, proposed service station and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name More

Future skyline takes shape in Coast growth corridor

One of the Sunshine Coast’s largest undeveloped urban projects has taken another step forward, with the clearest picture yet emerging of a future high-rise More

A couple in their 70s have been terrorised in a violent home invasion by four men armed with a gun and baseball bats.

Police say the men smashed a glass sliding door to gain access to the Beerwah residence after 11.30pm on Monday, before entering the bedroom.

“They (couple) were both asleep in bed and were awoken by … males who came into their room and basically told (them) to get on the floor,” Detective Senior Sergeant Craig Mansfield told reporters on Tuesday.

“They were held there against their will for a period of time and then assaulted with a weapon … so they are pretty terrified.”

The 75-year-old man tried to defend himself and was struck on the forearm with a bat, police said.

One of the men is believed to have had a handgun.

Police said the intruders were wearing hoodies and had their faces covered, taking cash and possessions before they fled.

Both the man and the 71-year-old woman received medical treatment.

“Really violent, lots of threats made … it’s a pretty harrowing incident for those two elderly victims,” Det Snr Sgt Mansfield said.

The men stole mobile phones, with the couple having to drive half an hour to Caboolture police station to report the attack.

“We are still trying to work out what the motive was,” Det Snr Sgt Mansfield said.

“We are looking at it as a wrong address potentially.

“There are businesses in that area. Whether they just thought there was some cash available to them as a result, we are unsure.”

Anyone with information or camera footage is urged to contact police.

Want more free local news? Follow Sunshine Coast News on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share