100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Business 2 Business: can my kids travel without the other parent’s consent?

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Photo of the day: rise and shine

"So lovely to see the sun. Lots of fishing boats out and about." Penny Robertson snapped this photo from the Castaways Beach carpark. If you More

Champions crowned on wild weekend at The Aussies

The Australian Surf Life Saving Championships came to a thrilling conclusion at Maroochydore during the weekend, when the best athletes came to the fore More

Foodie festival line-up promises to tantalise tastebuds

The program for the Sunshine Coast’s premier food and drink festival has been revealed, with a riverside showcase of beers and spirits among the More

Sami Muirhead: fond memories of the 1990s

Natalie Imbruglia and I go way back. Many of us loved her when she played Beth Brennan in TV soap opera Neighbours. That was in 1992 More.

‘Huge mess’: jewellery store targeted by ram raid

A century-old Coast jewellers has praised the community for its support after the business was targeted by an early morning ram raid. K. Smith and More

Your say: highway upgrade, bank relocation and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name More

Taking your child or children overseas on a much anticipated holiday post-separation or divorce should be exciting. But what happens if the other parent doesn’t consent?

To obtain an Australian passport, each person who has parental responsibility for the child is required to provide written consent before a child’s passport can be renewed or issued. If there is no consent for the child to travel or be issued with an Australian passport, you will need to apply to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for approval.

Where there is a current order that permits the child to be issued with a passport and/or travel internationally, and the other parent is in breach of their obligation, you can seek assistance from the court to enforce the obligation or have the requirement for the signature to be dispensed.

Seeking an order from the court is a protracted, expensive exercise and a last resort if matters cannot be resolved through dispute-resolution processes.

If you have separated and intend on travelling internationally with your children, providing the other parent as much notice of your travel is key as it will allow you to address any concerns they may have and to consider your options, should they say no.

Olivia Le
Lawyer, Catton & Tondelstrand Lawyers

Kon-Tiki Business Centre
Tower 1, Level 3, Suite 315
55 Plaza Parade, Maroochydore

5609 4933

[scn_go_back_button] Return Home

Subscribe to SCN’s daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.