100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Julieanne Nolan: Can I record a conversation with my ex?

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Photo of the day: rise and shine

"So lovely to see the sun. Lots of fishing boats out and about." Penny Robertson snapped this photo from the Castaways Beach carpark. If you More

Champions crowned on wild weekend at The Aussies

The Australian Surf Life Saving Championships came to a thrilling conclusion at Maroochydore during the weekend, when the best athletes came to the fore More

Foodie festival line-up promises to tantalise tastebuds

The program for the Sunshine Coast’s premier food and drink festival has been revealed, with a riverside showcase of beers and spirits among the More

Sami Muirhead: fond memories of the 1990s

Natalie Imbruglia and I go way back. Many of us loved her when she played Beth Brennan in TV soap opera Neighbours. That was in 1992 More.

‘Huge mess’: jewellery store targeted by ram raid

A century-old Coast jewellers has praised the community for its support after the business was targeted by an early morning ram raid. K. Smith and More

Your say: highway upgrade, bank relocation and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name More

It is become common, in family law proceedings, for parties to want to record their former partner in an attempt to use that recording as evidence in Court to support their version of events.

Section 43(2)(a) of the Invasion of Privacy Act 1971 (Qld) provides that, it is not an offence to record a private conversation without the other person’s knowledge, provided the person recording the conversation is a part of the conversation.

The recording may be a face-to-face conversation, telephone conversation or via any other electronic means and the other party to the conversation does not need to be informed or give their consent to the conversation being recorded.

This means you can record a telephone conversation you are having between yourself and your former partner, but it is an offence to record a conversation between your former partner and your children when you are not a part of that conversation.

Recording your former partner when they are unaware can lead to “staged” evidence which may deliberately paint them in an unfavourable position and may ultimately not be permitted to be used as evidence.

Accurate diary notes, to jog your memory, may be more helpful.

Speak to your solicitor before you decide to record your conversations.

Julieanne Nolan
Lawyer, Accredited Family Law Specialist,
Catton & Tondelstrand Lawyers.
Kon-Tiki Business Centre, Tower 1, Level 3
Suite 315, 55 Plaza Parade, Maroochydore
Ph 5609 4933, CTLawyers.com.au



[scn_go_back_button] Return Home

Subscribe to SCN’s daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.