Independent and FREE - 2021 Best Online Publication

Do you know what to do if you have had a car crash?

Independent and FREE – 2021 Best Online Publication (Qld Country Press)

Do you know what to do if you have had a car crash?


myPolice: here's a reminder of what your duties are if you're involved in a car crash

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

‘Brickville’ was transformed into a bustling Coast suburb

It has a less than grandiose ring to it, but 'Brickville' almost became the name of a Sunshine Coast suburb. The name was abandoned, not More

Bellissimo! Mouth-watering new festival to fill your belly and soul

A full celebration of authentic Italian food, drink and entertainment is coming to the region for the first time, with pizza, pasta, gelato, espresso, More

Critical shortage: mum-and-dad owners at breaking point

Worker shortages “across all industries” are severely impacting many Sunshine Coast businesses, forcing temporary closures, exhausting owners and frustrating customers. While the ongoing fallout from More

What’s On: rock band tour, musical comedy and a funny festival

Join fun-loving Beddy Rays Following the recent release of their punk rock party starter "Sort It Out", fun-loving larrikins Beddy Rays are pumped to be More

Big dream: Coast sprouts one of nation’s youngest authors

At just eight years of age, Lincoln Rawlins has become one of Australia’s youngest published authors. His debut book, the colourful Sprout’s Idea, will not More

Reason behind push to build Coast’s Games village now

A new group is hitting the streets to get people off the streets with an initiative to find solutions to the rental crisis, including More

Do you know what are your responsibilities are if you’re involved in a traffic crash?

With a high number of incidents on the Sunshine Coast in recent months, it’s worth remembering.

Firstly, ensure you are in a safe location, away from traffic.

Then you must ask yourself if you need police at the site.

Police are not required to attend every traffic crash.

For police to attend a person/s needs to be trapped or injured.

If that’s the case, call triple zero (000) then stop and give assistance to anyone who is injured if it is safe to do so.

If there is suspicion that drugs or alcohol are involved, police are needed to direct traffic or manage traffic hazards, or if anyone has failed to exchange details, call Policelink on 131444.

Failure to exchange details may incur an infringement notice s93 (2) of TO(RUM) Act 1995, ‘Driver involved in crash fail to fulfil duties’.

However, if a driver feels threatened by another driver to give their details at the crash and are in fear of personal safety, call police.

It’s important to exchange details between people involved in a crash. Picture: Shutterstock.

An alarming number of hit-and-run incidents are being reported to police.

A hit-and-run is when a vehicle involved in a crash has left the the scene without stopping. If no-one witnesses the crash, it may go unsolved.

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our free daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email. See SUBSCRIBE at the top of this article.

If your vehicle requires towing, contact your insurer or a towing company of your choice. If you cannot arrange a tow and exhaust all options call Policelink.

Section 287 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Road Rules) Regulation 2009 requires a reportable traffic crash be reported to police within 24 hours after the crash, except in exceptional circumstances where it must be reported as soon as possible.

If you are involved in a traffic crash, have exchanged details, and have answered ‘no’ to all the above, then there is no need to report the crash to police.

There were 175 crashes reported to the Queensland Police Service for the Sunshine Coast District in July. There were three fatalities, 79 hit-and-runs, 62 crashes with injuries and 31 crashes without injuries.

Drive safe.

This column is compiled by the Sunshine Coast District Crime Prevention Unit.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink by providing information using the online suspicious activity form 24hrs per day at Queensland Police – Reporting.

Report crime information anonymously via Crime Stoppers. Call 1800 333 000 or report online at Crime Stoppers.