Australia’s craft beer capital – the Sunshine Coast – is celebrating the return of interstate travellers by announcing the country’s biggest welcome back party.
The region’s 21 craft breweries will simultaneously throw open their doors for a lavish bash of craft beer and good times, at 4pm on Friday, December 17.
The event is a chance for Australian travellers to reunite with friends and family while doing something sorely missed by many after months of intermittent lockdowns: getting together and drinking a craft beer with loved ones.
To top it off, guests at the breweries will have the chance to win a year’s supply of local craft beer.
The announcement comes as the Sunshine Coast welcomes back interstate visitors after Queensland reached its 80 per cent double vaccination target just in time for Christmas.
Visit Sunshine Coast CEO Matt Stoeckel said the welcome back party was about reuniting loved ones after months of border closures, while shining the spotlight on the Sunshine Coast as Australia’s craft beer capital.
“After months of uncertainty for the tourism industry, our state’s borders reopening to Australia just in time for the holidays is a moment worth celebrating,” Mr Stoeckel said.
“This day has been a long time coming, not only for our local business who rely on interstate travellers, but friends and family who have been separated from their loved ones.
“We wanted to do something that made people smile, and the welcome back party is about having some fun.”
Mr Stoeckel said hosting the event simultaneously at the region’s craft breweries was a no-brainer.
“With 21 craft breweries across our region the Sunshine Coast is home to the largest number of breweries per capita in the country, making us Australia’s craft beer capital,” he said.
“Our breweries are so much more than producers of award-winning beer, they are places to come together, enjoy good food and drink, listen to live music and have a good time.
“Behind every one of our brewers is a story with many focused on sustainability and celebrating our region’s local produce, and that’s something we want to share with visitors.”
Receive Sunshine Coast News stories direct to your inbox by subscribing to our FREE daily news feed: Go to SUBSCRIBE button at top of this article to register.
No one knows the Sunshine Coast’s craft beer scene better than Josh Donohoe, who for the last five years has run Sunshine Coast Craft Beer Tours.
He said the region’s craft beer scene had really come of age, and the local brewers were excited to host Australia’s biggest welcome back party.
“The Sunshine Coast has such a diverse range of breweries and venues that have become incredibly popular for locals and visitors to experience,” Mr Donohoe said.
“With borders reopening it’s the perfect opportunity to celebrate with family and friends at our local breweries who will all be participating in the event on the 17th of December, with live music, great food specials and new beer releases.
“We encourage those visiting the Sunshine Coast for the first time to join one of our tours and get behind the scenes to learn more about the beers and the stories of our local craft beer industry.”
To learn more about Australia’s Craft Beer Capital and biggest welcome back party, visit Visit Sunshine Coast.
Australia’s craft beer capital
- With 21 craft breweries the Sunshine Coast has the largest number of breweries per capita in the country, making the region Australia’s craft beer capital.
- The beer is also some of Australia’s best, with the local brewers collectively winning more than 170 awards for their beer (and counting).
- The region has some of the best breweries in Australia, including Moffat Beach Brewing Co which was recently awarded Champion Medium/Small Brewery at the 2021 Independent Beer Awards Aus.
- Your Mates Brewing’s Larry Australian Pale Ale was awarded 4th best Aussie Craft Beer in the 2020 GABS Hottest 100.
- The Sunshine Coast has its own craft beer trail, go behind the scenes with Sunshine Coast Craft Beer tours and meet the local brewers, or plan your own itinerary here.
- Behind every one of our brewers is a story with many focused on sustainability.
- Our brewers aren’t afraid to get creative, Brouhaha Brewery’s Strawberry Rhubarb Sour is by far their most popular. The secret ingredient? Maleny Dairies natural yoghurt.