100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Sunshine Coast Storm' keen to continue streak when they host Tigers at Kawana

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Major lift for golf club’s long-awaited clubhouse

A major milestone has been reached for a long-running community project. At the Maleny Golf Club in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, seven large modules have More

Adaptive skate frame expands access on Coast

A Sunshine Coast skate business is breaking down barriers, launching a new adaptive facility designed to open the sport to riders of all abilities. Chiggy's More

Crews relish record-breaking dragon boat event

Dragon boat enthusiasts are savouring the sport's biggest ever Australian championships, held on the Sunshine Coast. Participants from 77 clubs around the country attended the More

Milestone beckons as Wallaroos take on Kiwis on Coast

Lock Michaela Leonard admits she didn't really know the rules of rugby when she played her first Test for Australia. Now, the 31-year-old will become More

Six-year-old earns international golf invite

A six-year-old Sunshine Coast golfer has been selected for an invitation-only international tournament, placing him among the top junior players in his age group More

Golf club submits plans for expansion

Plans to reconfigure and expand the facilities at a renowned golf course have been lodged, as the club looks to “refine and optimise” its More

Melbourne Storm will try to add to their eight-match unbeaten run at Sunshine Coast Stadium, when they collide with Wests Tigers on June 19.

The team, which has made the region their home away from home in recent seasons, was due to play the Tigers in Melbourne, but the match was relocated to Bokarina due to the on-going COVID-19 situation in Melbourne.

The decision to move the game was made following continued consultation with the NRL, Victorian Government representatives and Melbourne and Olympic Parks.

It follows on from their Round 13 match against the Gold Coast Titans being played at Sunshine Coast Stadium in front of almost 8000 fans earlier this month.

The Storm also won all seven of their games at the venue last season, when they relocated to the Sunshine Coast because of the pandemic. They beat the Tigers there 50-22 in September.

Tickets for the Tigers game are on sale via Ticketek.

The work of Storm’s major charity partner, the Starlight Children’s Foundation, will be highlighted in the lead-up to the Tigers clash, as well as at the stadium on gameday.

For the past five years, Storm has worked with Starlight who are dedicated to brightening the lives of seriously ill children, adolescents and their families through a range of programs, including wish granting and a Starlight Express Rooms in every major children’s hospital in Australia.

Follow Sunshine Coast News on Facebook.

To kick off the build-up to Round 15, NRL squad members Cooper Johns and Nicho Hynes had a special online Starlight TV catch-up with some children currently in care during the week.

Storm CEO Justin Rodski said it was unavoidable for the Tigers game to be played away from Melbourne.

“I can understand the disappointment our members are feeling about missing out on seeing Storm at home over this current lockdown period,” Rodski said.

“It is shared by our players and staff who love our games at AAMI Park and playing in front of the Purple Army.

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our free daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email. See SUBSCRIBE at the top of this article.

“It’s a situation none of us wish to be in but moving next week’s game is the only option we have to allow our team to keep playing in the competition.

“We are very thankful to Sunshine Coast Council and Sunshine Coast Stadium for partnering with us again for the Round 15 clash.

“This week is also very special to our club as it gives us a chance to highlight the outstanding work the Starlight Children’s Foundation does for our community.”

Storm will continue to monitor the COVID situation in Victoria and will take advice from the NRL and governments before making any decision on future games.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share