100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

The EU has hit back at Scott Morrison's claim it blocked 3 million vaccine doses from Australia

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Future of rail land uncertain after track realignment

The state government is unsure what will become of rail land after a track realignment is complete, but possible uses will be investigated. The Department More

Health retreat seeks approval after council letter

An application to formalise an existing mental health retreat in the Sunshine Coast hinterland has opened for public feedback, after the operators were issued More

Consultation open for multi-sports court at popular park

Public consultation has opened on a proposed multi-sports half court in Landsborough, with residents invited to provide feedback on the concept before any funding More

22-year-old ‘living fossil’ fish caught at Coast dam

A rare 22-year-old saratoga has been caught and released at Ewen Maddock Dam, offering a remarkable snapshot of the health of one of the More

Local creperie takes over popular patisserie

The team behind French restaurant Flo’s Creperie has expanded into the world of patisserie by taking over a much-loved French bakery in Alexandra Headland. The Flo’s More

New $400k fire truck boosts frontline firefighting capability

A $400,000 state-of-the-art fire truck has been delivered to a Sunshine Coast rural fire brigade. The Isuzu dual-cab medium attack vehicle, equipped with advanced crew-protection More

The European Union has denied blocking shipments of 3.1 million doses of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine from going to Australia.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has blamed vaccine supply issues for Australia failing to meet his government’s jab targets.

He said four million Australians were meant to be vaccinated by the end of March but only about 855,000 had received the jab by Monday.

The target was missed because of supply issues resulting from three million doses being blocked from leaving Europe for Australia, Mr Morrison said.

“Pure and simple,” he told reporters.

Nationals deputy leader David Littleproud said Australia had been “badly let down” by the EU.

“The arithmetic is simple on this. We are three million short because of the EU, who cut us short,” he said.

But a European Commission spokesperson said the only export request rejected out of nearly 500 received has been so far a shipment of 250,000 doses to Australia in March, which is well known.

“We cannot confirm any new decision to block vaccine exports to Australia or to any other country,” the spokesperson told a news conference in Europe on Tuesday.

Mr Morrison previously said any hold up of vaccine imports would not impact Australia’s plan and is standing by his government’s rollout strategy.

He said more locally-made doses of the AstraZeneca would be available over coming weeks, noting the testing requirements needed for each batch.

“I don’t intend to rush the process and put people’s health at risk,” he said.

The prime minister rejected Labor’s calls for mass vaccination sites, saying general practices are currently the best option for the early stages of the rollout which focuses on vulnerable people.

He also does not want to bring pharmacies into the rollout sooner than planned.

Labor’s health spokesman Mark Butler said a new strategy is needed.

He wants pharmacists involved in the rollout sooner after news they had been delayed by a month and would not start administering coronavirus jabs until June.

Meanwhile, Australians will be able to travel to New Zealand without needing to quarantine from April 19.

Kiwis have been able to travel to most Australian states quarantine-free for about six months.

Mr Morrison has hailed the travel bubble as an important step for the nations’ road out of the coronavirus pandemic.

NZ leader Jacinda Ardern announced a traffic light style system to guide Kiwis while travelling to Australia.

She said they may be subjected to prolonged stays across the Tasman or be required to quarantine on return in the event of outbreaks.

“People will need to plan for the possibility of having travel disrupted if there is an outbreak,” Ms Ardern said.

Travellers will not be required to produce a negative test before travel but that may change in the case of outbreaks.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share