100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

The body of a man has been recovered after a tragic midnight swim in the Mary River

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Champions crowned on wild weekend at The Aussies

The Australian Surf Life Saving Championships came to a thrilling conclusion at Maroochydore during the weekend, when the best athletes came to the fore More

Foodie festival line-up promises to tantalise tastebuds

The program for the Sunshine Coast’s premier food and drink festival has been revealed, with a riverside showcase of beers and spirits among the More

‘Huge mess’: jewellery store targeted by ram raid

A century-old Coast jewellers has praised the community for its support after the business was targeted by an early morning ram raid. K. Smith and More

Plans to add 40 apartments above retail complex revealed

A proposal to build 40 luxury apartments over a waterside retail and commercial project has been submitted to council. Quay Residences at Pelican Waters would More

Uncertain future for clubs making way for new venue

There are growing fears for two rugby league clubs that are set to move aside for an Olympic venue. Kawana Dolphins juniors and seniors are More

New bus fleet boss to drive transformation in transport

The appointment of a new manager of a Sunshine Coast bus fleet has been heralded as a significant step for gender equality in the More

A midnight swim during a New Year’s Eve camping trip has ended in tragedy after a man drowned in the Mary River.

The body of the 20-year-old was discovered after an extensive search of the area where he went missing at the corner of Traveston Crossing Road and Dobson Road at Kybong.

Police said the man and a group friends had been using car headlights to illuminate the waist-deep water during a swim about midnight.

“They saw the man, turned around and then noticed he had disappeared,” a statement from police media said.

The group raised the alarm which kick-started a frantic search which continued into New Year’s Day involving police, SES and swift water rescue crews from the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service.

The RACQ Lifeflight rescue chopper also assisted with an air search.

Police confirmed the man’s body was found about 80 metres away from where he was last seen.

Acting Sergeant Bill Greer, from Imbil police station, told ABC the man’s friends said he had disappeared within seconds.

“They searched themselves briefly and then quickly called for help,” he said.

“Just devastation. Absolute devastation is the way I would describe it.

“We were obviously all hoping for a very different outcome and our hearts certainly go out to the family of this young man.”

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

[scn_go_back_button] Return Home

Subscribe to SCN’s daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.