100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Landfill expansion works underway at tip with short-term closure required

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Falcons and Storm to end decade-long partnership

The Sunshine Coast Falcons have confirmed their long-standing feeder club affiliation with the Melbourne Storm will come to an end after the 2025 season. The More

Photo of the day: ocean paddlers

Paddlers off Kings Beach at Caloundra, by Lesley Evans. If you have a photo of the day offering, email photo@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. Photos must be horizontal/landscape and More

Lucrative prizes on the line for freshwater fish

The state’s most successful recreational fishing initiative is gearing up for a major milestone. The Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS) is marking 25 years, with More

Young man dies in Kandanga crash

A 19-year-old has died after a campervan veered off the roadway and crashed near Kandanga Creek bridge early on Sunday morning. Police and emergency crews More

Two dead in crash with stolen car near Gympie

Two people have died following a crash involving a stolen vehicle at Chatsworth yesterday afternoon. About 3pm, emergency services were called to a three-vehicle crash More

1000 speeding fines in Coast school zones in a year

More than 1000 speeding infringements were issued in Sunshine Coast school zones last year, prompting the rollout of new flashing signs at high-risk sites. The More

A busy waste precinct is set to close for six weeks as it undergoes a major transformation to help better manage the region’s waste.

Nambour tip will temporarily close from Monday, July 28, to Sunday, September 7.

During the closure, residents and commercial operators who usually visit the Nambour site will be redirected to the Buderim or Caloundra tips.

A landfill expansion is currently underway at Nambour, and still to come is a new resource recovery centre and landfill gas to energy plant.

The closure will allow construction of a new access road to connect the new material recovery facility, completed in 2023, and future buildings and facilities within the site.

The intersection at Cooney Road and Nambour-Bli Bli Road will also get traffic lights to improve road safety in the vicinity of the tip.

Scroll down to SUBSCRIBE for our FREE news feed, direct to your inbox daily.

Environment and Liveability Portfolio Councillor Maria Suarez said the upgrade was a significant investment in sustainably managing the region’s future waste.

“As our region continues to grow, so does the need for smarter, more sustainable ways to manage waste,” she said.

“The challenge we face is ensuring long-term waste solutions that protect our environment and support a circular economy.

“Council’s Resource Recovery Strategy outlines our plan for a smarter, more sustainable solution to managing our growing region’s waste. The goal is that, by 2041, nothing ends up in landfill.

“It includes upgrades to our waste infrastructure to support our region’s circular economy – which considers rubbish not as something to be buried in the ground, but a resource to be reused again and again.”

Cr Suarez said the Nambour waste precinct was undergoing a significant transformation.

“The upgrade will help us better manage future waste and support our region’s circular economy – which means reusing, recycling and reducing waste so that materials stay in use for as long as possible,” she said.

“These upgrades will help us better manage future waste, reduce landfill dependency, and lead the way to a cleaner, greener, and more sustainable Sunshine Coast.”

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is hidden when viewing the form
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share