100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Not to proceed': supermarket giant withdraws court appeal for hinterland town

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Your say: parked caravans, cafe closure and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Don’t ditch sunscreen amid SPF label concerns, researcher urges

A University of the Sunshine Coast PhD researcher is urging people not to ditch sunscreen amid news about some brands failing to match their More

Council reviews 2500 submissions over dog beach plans

Sunshine Coast Council is reviewing an influx of submissions ahead of a new plan for dog beaches as a community group pushes to retain More

Next-level home security: stubborn snake on patrol

A Sunshine Coast resident’s home security system got an unusual upgrade recently when a large coastal carpet python settled in strike mode beside his More

Telco takes council to court over phone tower plan

A telecommunications infrastructure provider has launched a court appeal after Sunshine Coast Council rejected its plans for a phone tower. Waveconn Operations Pty Ltd’s application More

$2.2m for Coast uni to train specialist aged care nurses

A tertiary institution on the Sunshine Coast is spearheading the delivery of a fully funded nationwide online program to train specialist aged care nurses More

A major supermarket development that was to include a McDonald’s and homemaker centre has been scrapped for a hinterland town.

Coles has withdrawn its appeal with the Planning and Environment Court to build on a site at Beerwah.

A notice of discontinuance has been filed on behalf of Coles Group Property Developments citing rising costs as the reason behind the “regrettable” decision.

The shopping giant first lodged an application with Sunshine Coast Council in October 2019 for a material change of use for land on the corner of Roys Road and Steve Irwin Way.

It was refused in July 2021 and an appeal was lodged with the court in August 2021.

Documentation from the lawyers acting on behalf of Coles stated the reasons behind supermarket’s decision.

The proposal was to include a full-line Coles supermarket.

“Our client has been considering whether the project the subject of these appeals is feasible in light of anticipated capital costs, in the current climate of rapid construction cost escalation,” they said.

“Coles has ultimately decided not to proceed with the project.

“Coles made this decision with regret, as it considered the site was a good one, and that its prospects would otherwise have warranted proceeding.”

The documents also indicated the increased costs associated with external roadworks and a U-turn facility approved by the court last year, plus continued opposition from co-respondents Sunshine Coast Council and Village Fair – the company that owns the Beerwah Village and Beerwah Marketplace shopping complexes.

The proposed Coles homemaker centre showroom.

During a review on April 18 it was also mentioned the appeal hearing may be held over until 2025, due to availability constraints, and that the hearing could run for more than three weeks, further impacting Coles’ decision.

“It has accordingly been necessary for Coles to take steps to extricate itself from contractual arrangements with the landowners and McDonald’s,” the documents said.

Beerwah is already home to a Woolworths, Aldi and Fresh & Save, and two service stations.

Sunshine Coast News reached out to the Coles Group, but the company declined to comment.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is hidden when viewing the form
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share