100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'A significant day': Sekisui development saga finally comes to an end

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

New eatery offers flavours of the Middle East

The doors have opened to a new cafe in the centre of a Sunshine Coast town, and locals are relishing the unique offerings. Owners Joseph More

‘I’ll finally do it’: man plans adventure with lotto win

A Sunshine Coast man is rejoicing after being informed he's a Lucky Lotteries winner. The Sunrise Beach local was told he had scooped $200,000 in More

Cheaper bills and cooler homes for community housing

Cheaper bills and cooler homes are on the way to community housing tenants, with rebates for insulation, solar and efficient appliances. About 4000 homes across More

Photo of the day: early birds

Photographer Helen Browne captured these keen surfers out for an early surf at Mooloolaba Beach. If you have a photo of the day offering, email More

Benched MP flew with Palmer during coalition split

A benched Nationals frontbencher flew on an Australian billionaire’s private jet to have initial conversations about a potential political quid pro quo during the More

Woman fighting for life after reported disturbance

A woman is fighting for life after a wounding incident on Friday afternoon. A Queensland Police Service spokesperson told Sunshine Coast News officers were called More

A development approval for a five-star resort on the Sunshine Coast has officially been cancelled, ending years of uncertainty and community pushback.

Locals now have clarity around what will be delivered on the Yaroomba Beach site formerly owned by Sekisui House.

Sunshine Coast Council received, and granted, a request by the new owners, Dennis Family Corporation, to cancel the development approval issued to Sekisui House.

Under the Planning Act 2016, this means that development approval no longer has effect and cannot be acted upon.

The site will revert to being governed by the Coolum Hyatt Integrated Resort and Residential Community (Hyatt Masterplan).

The masterplan allows for 330 dwellings onsite with a range of two to four-storey buildings, up to a maximum height of 16m. The DFC said last year that it planned to develop would a residential gated community including detached houses, terrace homes and apartments.

In comparison, the Sekisui approval allowed for 817 dwellings up to seven storeys, or 24.5m.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Councillor Taylor Bunnag said the approval was no longer in effect and local residents now had greater clarity around what would be delivered on the site.

“The cancellation of the Sekisui approval represents a significant day for the Yaroomba community because it ends a seven-year process of uncertainty surrounding this particular site,” he said.

The location of the site at Yaroomba Beach.

“This is an important moment in time for local people who, for many years, fought hard to have their voices heard on what the future of their community looked like, and I would like to acknowledge the efforts of everyone involved.”

Mayor Rosanna Natoli said the cancellation of the development approval issued to Sekisui House marked the end of a lengthy process that had attracted significant community interest.

“As mayor, listening to and appreciating the ongoing community expectations around planning not just in Yaroomba, but across the Sunshine Coast, is important to me,” she said.

Subscribe to our FREE daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email at the bottom of this article.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share