100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Bonza remains in limbo as administrators finalise plans for creditors' meeting

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

School expansion worth $47m unveiled

A major project has delivered new learning areas, specialist facilities and room for more than 1300 students at a growing Sunshine Coast school. Stage 2 More

Man hospitalised after serious single-vehicle crash

A 24-year-old man has been taken to hospital in a potentially life-threatening condition following a single-vehicle rollover at Glenview on Friday morning. Emergency services were More

Your say: tallest building, housing project and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name More

New seawall complete as beachfront reopens

A long-running seawall reconstruction is nearing a major milestone, with key parts of the popular foreshore set to reopen ahead of the September school More

New wine bar puts a Spanish spin on coastal dining

The team behind three popular Sunshine Coast venues has opened a new wine bar just steps from the beach, bringing a taste of Spain’s More

Dolphins filmed using shells to hunt fish

Sunshine Coast researchers have captured footage of dolphins using seashells to catch fish off Queensland’s coast. A University of the Sunshine Coast team recorded two More

Bonza’s fleet of planes has begun to be removed from Australia before the airline’s financial crisis is laid bare at a creditors’ meeting.

The embattled budget carrier, which was back in Federal Court on Thursday morning ahead of the first meeting on Friday, appointed administrators after the lease agreement for its planes was terminated.

The first of those planes – a Boeing 737 Max 8 – flew out from Sunshine Coast Airport shortly after 9am on Thursday destined for Honolulu.

Bonza said on Tuesday its lessors were enforcing their rights and were repossessing the planes intending to reposition them overseas.

The airline said it had argued to keep its fleet and use the planes in the short term.

Without planes, Bonza has cancelled all flights until May 15 and will not compensate any customer left out of pocket.

Related stories

Lawyers for administrators Hall Chadwick were in court finalising Friday’s meeting, where creditors – including about 58,000 customers left out of pocket – will be updated on the airline’s dire financial state.

Barrister James Hutton SC said administrators had received almost 9000 emails from potential creditors and about 2000 had provided proof of debts.

Many of the issues raised by Justice Elizabeth Cheeseman in an earlier court hearing had been sorted out by the administrators, including the ability for creditors to ask questions.

Friday’s meeting is set to take place via Zoom.

More than 300 Bonza employees, who are also in line to become creditors, remain stood down.

The administrators previously said insufficient cashflow and funding stopped Bonza from operating but the reclaiming of the planes, forcing the sudden cancellation of flights, was unexpected.

Scroll down to SUBSCRIBE for our FREE news feed, direct to your inbox daily.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share