100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Times are tough': community members encouraged to take part in annual appeal

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Coast median home value soars to be on par with Sydney

With the prospect of paying at least $1m for a home in many of Australia's capital cities, buyers are once again looking to escape More

Your say: hotel plan, festival site and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and More

Camping operator seeks funds for approval after complaint

The operator of a creekside campground has set up a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of approvals after a complaint was received More

Development of iconic farm set for council vote

Councillors will next week determine whether to approve a development plan for an iconic farm, with the proposal to establish about 420 dwellings recommended More

Beloved family cafe closes after more than a decade

A family-owned cafe that had operated in the Sunshine Coast hinterland for more than a decade has closed amid what it called a “lease More

‘Missing piece in the puzzle’: mayor hails streetscape project

Sunshine Coast mayor Rosanna Natoli says a $27 million streetscape project will provide a "seamless connection" between business and community hubs in the heart More

Sunshine Coasters have been urged to get involved in a long-running fundraiser that will support the region’s most vulnerable and disadvantaged people.

The Salvation Army is aiming to raise $38 million nationwide for the 60th year of the Red Shield Appeal.

The Salvos’ Simon Gregory said many locals needed help.

“The Sunshine Coast area needs your support more than ever,” he said.

“The Salvos are grateful for the generosity we have received over the past 60 years of the Red Shield Appeal and we hope to see our community come together again this year as we seek to make it another 60 years.”

All funds raised locally will remain in the community, allowing the Salvos to meet the specific needs of the most disadvantaged and marginalised members of the region.

The Salvation Army is calling on everyone who can to get involved in its Red Shield Appeal.

Mr Gregory said “times are tough” across the country.

“We are seeing more people come through our doors every week, new families who have never done it this tough before, and people are feeling the pinch,” he said.

“They are skipping meals, unable to afford utility bills or medication for their kids.”

There are many ways that people can get involved in the appeal, including at collection points in shopping centres or other key locations, door-knocking, online fundraising or organising a collection at workplaces, schools and sporting events.

“There is no better way to support your community than through volunteering and we would love to have you as part of our Red Shield Appeal army this year,” Mr Gregory said.

“Grab a mate, some work colleagues or the entire family and join us. We can’t do our work in the community without you.”

The appeal will be held on May 25 and 26, but there are many other volunteering opportunities during May.

Across Australia last year, the Salvos provided more than 1.67 million sessions of care to over 250,000 people in need, more than 1.2 million bed nights to those who needed accommodation, and more than 1.63 million meals to those who accessed homelessness services.

To donate or volunteer for the Salvation Army’s Red Shield Appeal or if you need support from the Salvos, visit Salvation Army or call 13 SALVOS. You can also donate at any Salvos Store.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share