100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Majestic Cinemas at Nambour to close after eight-and-a-half years

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Bricklaying boss warns of skilled worker shortage

The Sunshine Coast is facing a skilled worker shortage as the region gears up for billions of dollars in construction and infrastructure projects. The challenge More

Restaurant’s ‘food bible’ double award win

A double award victory has placed a hinterland restaurant among Australia’s standout dining destinations and recognised it as Queensland’s best restaurant for 2026. The Woodshed More

Former labour hire firm fined over farm records

A former labour hire provider and its manager have been fined over false records linked to workers at a Sunshine Coast strawberry farm. The Fair More

Hidden signal in videos could help solve crimes

Technology being refined on the Sunshine Coast could help solve some of the world’s most complex criminal cases, from hostage situations to child exploitation More

Ashley Robinson: extending my appetite

I had a light-bulb moment last week. Well, it took a while, but the light bulb eventually came on. It all started innocently enough with More

Proposed motorway project faces scrutiny

A plan for two ramps at a key stretch of motorway is being examined by the federal government over potential environmental impacts. The Queensland Department More

Nambour is losing its cinemas.

In a statement released on Wednesday afternoon, Majestic Cinemas said its Nambour venue would cease trading on April 14.

The cinema chain, which has nine sites across regional Australia, appointed administrators on February 1 in the hope that a restructure would give the business a bright future going forward.

But after opening in 2015, the decision has been made to close the cinemas at Nambour’s C-Square complex on Currie Street.

“Unfortunately, we’ve needed to close three other locations last month due to negotiation failings, however this is a different situation,” Majestic Cinemas CEO Kieren Dell said.

“Our current administration process coincides with plans for an impending major refurbishment of the C-Square building, and as a result it makes sense to close our doors at this time.

“C-Square management and owners have constantly shown a collaborative approach across the years, to make sure that Nambour and the hinterland retained their local cinema and entertainment space.

Majestic Cinemas Nambour is located within C-Square in downtown Nambour. Picture: Steele Taylor

“We are beyond grateful for the positive interactions with C-Square and the support we’ve had both from C-Square and the wider community over a long period of time.”

Movie-goers came out in force to support the cinema when the administrators were appointed, with visitation increasing after many community members, including local MPs and councillors, voiced their support.

“It’s been heartwarming to see the support on the ground and the friendly faces coming up to our staff and supporting them too,” Mr Dell said.

“We can’t express our thanks enough for letting us be a part of this community for the past eight-and-a-half years.”

The media statement said it was hoped the C-Square refurbishment would promote a brighter future for the entertainment precinct, and that the cinemas could re-emerge in the future.

Majestic Cinemas will continue to operate until the last day of school holidays on April 14.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share