100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Dingo euthanised as 'last resort' after 'high risk' behaviour on K'gari

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

New waterways authority to begin operations

A new authority tasked with managing and maintaining Sunshine Coast waterways will begin operating from July after legislation passed state parliament last week. The Sunshine More

Market stalls credited with launching national business success

A Sunshine Coast distillery now stocked in the Qantas Brisbane Business Lounge has grown from humble beginnings at the Eumundi Markets into a national More

Coast bee discovery to take the ‘sting’ out of scars

A discovery by Sunshine Coast scientists could change how scars are treated, after researchers identified a natural compound linked to reduced skin damage. The UniSC More

Schools shortlisted for national honours

Two Sunshine Coast prep-to-Year 12 independent schools are in the running for national education awards. Matthew Flinders Anglican College at Buderim and St Andrew’s Anglican More

Your say: federal budget, proposed service station and more

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name More

Future skyline takes shape in Coast growth corridor

One of the Sunshine Coast’s largest undeveloped urban projects has taken another step forward, with the clearest picture yet emerging of a future high-rise More

Another dingo has been put down on Queensland’s K’gari after a number of “high risk” incidents, including biting a woman on a beach.

The attack on an eastern beach on August 26 was the latest in a spate of encounters involving dingoes on the heritage-listed island.

The woman was treated for scratches on her thigh after the bite from the dingo, which was one of two collared animals that approached her before people nearby came to her aid.

Rangers tagged the dingo in January and since then noticed increased behavioural problems including stealing food, persistently approaching people, stalking, circling, lunging, nipping and biting, the Department of Environment and Science said.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) consulted with the Butchulla people, the island’s traditional owners, before euthanising the dingo on the weekend, which came after rangers exhausted other options.

These included collaring the animal in July and closing camping areas in August, but the dingo’s “threatening and high risk” interactions with people, including children, continued.

Many of those incidents involved another dingo and the department said it would continue to closely monitor the second animal.

A dingo on K’gari. Picture: Shutterstock

“Euthanising a high-risk dingo is a last resort, but this decision is in line with the Fraser Island Dingo Conservation and Risk Management Strategy, and part of QPWS’s commitment to ensure the safety of everyone who visits or lives on the island,” the department said.

The attack is the latest in a string of dangerous encounters on K’gari, formerly known as Fraser Island, including one involving a woman who was bitten on the thigh after collared dingoes stalked a group of adults in mid-August.

Related story: K’gari camping areas to be closed after attacks by dingoes

In July, a 24-year-old woman was taken to hospital with numerous bites after being attacked by at least three dingoes while jogging on an eastern beach.

One of the dingoes was put down because it had been responsible for other threatening and biting incidents, including one involving a six-year-old girl.

In early July, an eight-year-old boy was taken to hospital after being bitten and scratched when two dingoes approached his family on an eastern beach.

In June, a dingo was euthanised after a string of incidents involving the animal in previous months, including the biting of a seven-year-old boy and a 42-year-old woman.

Despite the growing number of attacks, rangers have rejected calls to cull the dingo population on the island, blaming visitor behaviour for the spike in incidents.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au. You must include your name and suburb.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share