100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Likely to be a lengthy process': council votes to remove wreck in interests of safety

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Future skyline takes shape in Coast growth corridor

One of the Sunshine Coast’s largest undeveloped urban projects has taken another step forward, with the clearest picture yet emerging of a future high-rise More

Motorway interchange plan gains momentum

Plans for new ramps on the Sunshine Motorway have progressed, with a contract awarded for the project’s detailed design. The Sunshine Motorway and West Coolum More

Rail network disrupted, major road closed after fatal vehicle rollover

A man has died after a vehicle rolled onto railway tracks at Kulangoor, causing significant disruptions to the rail network on Friday morning. Emergency services More

Coast man dies in early morning crash

A Sunshine Coast man has died following a crash west of Gympie overnight. Emergency services were called to Gympie Woolooga Road, near Little Widgee Road More

Hinterland tourism development faces key council vote

A controversial farm-stay tourist park proposed for the hinterland is set to go before Sunshine Coast Council next week. Council officers are recommending the development More

Council moves to sell properties over unpaid rates

Sunshine Coast Council is set to begin the process of selling properties with long-overdue rates debts. The matter is outlined in the agenda for next More

Sunshine Coast Council has made the decision to work towards the removal of the SS Dicky wreck, as repeated erosion continues to expose its sharp remnants.

The plan was set in motion at today’s ordinary meeting of council when commitment was made towards a permanent solution to make the Dicky Beach foreshore safe for the community and visitors.

Councillors voted unanimously on the plan, which includes removing the majority or all of the wreck.

The meeting acknowledged it could take some time for the plan to be implemented.

Related story: ‘Extremely unsafe’: wreck closes part of beach

In the short term, temporary protection measures have been implemented including an exclusion area 20m each side of the wreck; installation of new signage; increased public warnings from the Dicky Beach Surf Life Saving Club; and map and information flyers being distributed to Dicky Beach Caravan Park and other relevant local businesses.

The Dicky Beach Surf Life Saving Club will notify council of all incidents or hazards related to the wreck.

Sunshine Coast Division 2 Councillor Terry Landsberg said it was a substantial operation to remove the wreck but community safety was council’s top priority.

“In 2015, parts of the wreck were removed following a strict protocol – total removal was considered but as it is very difficult and expensive to do this partial removal was deemed to be the best option at that time,” he said.

The SS Dicky wreck last month.

“However, the repeated exposure of the wreck due to the natural costal processes and its continued deterioration means we have reached a point where this option needed to be seriously considered for our community’s safety.

“There are strict Queensland Government cultural heritage protocols council needs to follow and it is likely to be a lengthy process.

“Council will work closely with the Department of Environment and Science to ensure all necessary preservation processes are followed.”

Cr Landsberg said the SS Dicky didn’t need to be in place for its historical significance to be remembered.

“A new fantastic interpretive display to learn more about the ship is due to be completed in the coming months in the park dedicated to its name,” he said.

“In the meantime, we request people to take note of the signage and always stay clear of the wreck.”

A full risk assessment was undertaken as part of the decision, which included input from industry experts and Surf Life Saving Queensland (Dicky Beach branch).

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor with your name and suburb at Sunshine Coast News via: news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share