100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Sunshine Coast finance worker tests positive as mask mandate extended

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Marine plants to be removed for housing project

Thousands of marine plant plugs will be removed from land beside the Maroochy River under a new state government approval for a contentious 104-hectare More

Police probe damage along popular esplanade

Sunshine Coast police are investigating alleged wilful damage incidents along one of the region's most prominent roads, after reports of anti-social behaviour. Police were called More

Teen charged after allegedly stolen car crashes

A teenager has been charged after an allegedly stolen car crashed in Nambour this morning. Police allege a white Honda Civic was stolen from an More

Firefighters scale mountain in overnight rescue operation

An injured hiker has been rescued from the southern face of Mt Beerwah after spending the night on the mountain during a complex emergency More

Motorbike rider killed in crash

A motorcyclist has died following a crash involving a caravan on a Sunshine Coast road on Sunday. The 64-year-old man was riding a BMW G650GS More

Man charged with weapons and drugs offences

A man has been charged with multiple offences after police allegedly located weapons during a search of a property. The 68-year-old was been charged with More

A man who works in finance on the Sunshine Coast and his 12-year-old son have tested positive to COVID as the mask mandate that was due to expire on Friday was extended.

Queensland recorded three new locally acquired cases including the man who works at a financial firm at Cotton Tree and attended the office while infectious on Wednesday.

The other two cases were the man’s 12-year-old son who flew into Queensland from Sydney on July 9 on flight QF544 after spending three months in the USA with his mother, and a fully vaccinated airport worker.

The boy who lives in Newport, Brisbane, had completed hotel quarantine in Sydney before flying to Brisbane and got tested on July 13 at the Aspley Medical Centre after developing symptoms.

The father who went to the airport to pick up the boy and his partner also tested positive but the mother was negative, however she remains in hospital with her son.

Dr Jeanette Young said the father works at Rowland Financial Advisors on The Esplanade, Maroochydore, and had attended for one day while potentially infectious and contact tracing was under way.

However she said it did not appear as though the boy and father had attended many other venues but new locations would be listed on the Queensland Health list of exposure sites.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said because of the new cases, restrictions that had been in line to be eased in 11 local government areas on Friday would remain in place for another week.

However restrictions would ease at 6am in Townsville.

“We won’t be able to ease our restrictions in the Greater Brisbane area and I know people will be disappointed by that, I am disappointed by that … but what we are seeing is that these outbreaks are happening across the country,” she said.

“We’ve just got to get on top of these things quickly.”

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said the boy had travelled to the US and arrived back in Australia via Sydney Airport on June 21 with his mother.

He then flew with his mother to Brisbane on Qantas flight 544 on Friday and is believed to have given his father the virus after arriving home.

The mother has tested negative so far but is now in hospital with her son, who tested positive on Wednesday.

Dr Young said the airport worker is a woman who had been fully vaccinated with the Pfizer jab and lives in Tarragindi in Brisbane’s south.

The worker had worked at the airport for three days while infectious.

“So, because we have now got these three new community cases and I suspect I’ll get confirmation later today … they are unrelated to all of our other cases, these are new outbreaks,” Dr Young said.

Help keep independent and fair Sunshine Coast news coming by subscribing to our free daily news feed. All it requires is your name and email. See SUBSCRIBE at the top of this article 

Ms Palaszczuk also urged Queenslanders in Victoria and NSW to consider returning home due to outbreaks in those states.

The premier said people planning trips to the southern states should reconsider their need to travel at all.

“I cannot be clearer. We are seeing these little spot fires happening across the nation and we need to make sure we get this under control,” she said.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share