100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

'Stay calm': Education Minister's advice to students as NAPLAN testing week begins

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Coast median home value soars to be on par with Sydney

With the prospect of paying at least $1m for a home in many of Australia's capital cities, buyers are once again looking to escape More

Camping operator seeks funds for approval after complaint

The operator of a creekside campground has set up a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of approvals after a complaint was received More

Development of iconic farm set for council vote

Councillors will next week determine whether to approve a development plan for an iconic farm, with the proposal to establish about 420 dwellings recommended More

Beloved family cafe closes after more than a decade

A family-owned cafe that had operated in the Sunshine Coast hinterland for more than a decade has closed amid what it called a “lease More

‘Missing piece in the puzzle’: mayor hails streetscape project

Sunshine Coast mayor Rosanna Natoli says a $27 million streetscape project will provide a "seamless connection" between business and community hubs in the heart More

Butt it out: cigarettes dominate yearly litter count

Australians have been urged to bin their butts as the plastic ends of cigarettes rank as the most pervasive source of discarded pollution. More cigarette More

“Stay calm” is the tip from Education Minister Grace Grace as thousands of Queensland students start to take part in NAPLAN this week.

“Relax and do your best is the best advice – from me and from parents and carers,” Ms Grace said as schools head into online or written nationally-required tests up to May 21.

“I send my best wishes to the Years 3, 5, 7 and 9 students in all of our 1700 state and non-government schools who will sit the tests this year.

“Everyone needs to remember that this is just one of the ways we can monitor students’ progress and work out how to channel resources and provide more targeted support.

“We know from parents and teachers there are shortcomings with how it currently operates and we will continue to advocate for improvements, noting that any future changes need to be agreed by all education ministers across the country.

“Some form of standardised national testing is required, and for now that is NAPLAN.

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor with your name and suburb at Sunshine Coast News via: news@sunshinecoastnews.com.au

“It remains a national requirement and our hardworking teachers will ensure Queensland students are familiar with the test formats and provide appropriate support and guidance.”

NAPLAN testing encompasses reading, writing, language conventions and numeracy and starts across Australia from Tuesday, May 11.

The Education Council of all state, territory and Commonwealth education ministers cancelled NAPLAN last year nationally because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Ministers also extended the national timeline for transitioning to NAPLAN Online until 2022.

A total of 1151 Queensland schools, including 749 state schools, are moving to NAPLAN Online this year.

 

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share